Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Processing order Input Data tool

jeffv
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I know in general one cannot explicitly denote order of processing in Alteryx (using 2018.3).  However, tools such Block Until Done have allowed to work around the issue.

I have a situation where I need an Input Data to process after a series of workflow tools.  Input Data does not have a input side to the tool so Block Until Done won't work.

The only thing I can think of it to put Input Data tools in a separate workflow or in a macro to force them to execute post other tools.

Is there any other way someone might suggest to accomplish forcing an input data tool to process post some other tool in a workflow?

Thanks for any ideas.

Jeff

3 REPLIES 3
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @jeffv ,

The easier way to do that is by using a dynamic input tool. That way, you will be able to serialize that input.

The configuration is simple, you need to provide a template and a filename / filepath coming from the input of this tool.

Best,

Fernando V.

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@jeffv,

Let's simplify and get you solved.  First, please read about the DYNAMIC INPUT.  With this tool you can use a template of the known format for the file that you'll be reading.  Next, you'll want to configure it to take the FULL PATH of an incoming field to READ that specific file (e.g. MyData_20191219.yxdb).

Before the tool that TRIGGERS the read, go ahead and summarize the data with something simple like COUNT.  The incoming data gets counted (but that can't happen until it reads all of the data right?).  Use an Append FIELDS tool to append the count to a tool like, TEXT INPUT (whatever you use to know the name of the file).  Now feed that record into your DYNAMIC INPUT.  

You will read the file only when you want to.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
VianneyM
Alteryx
Alteryx

as you already mentioned you can partition your workflow and then chain those workflows( workflow 1: processing , workflow 2: input)

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Knowledge-Base/Chaining-Workflows-Together/ta-p/3857...

The other option is to use a dynamic input tool: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/*/*/m-p/24946 after the processing. 

I hope it helps

Vianney

Best,
Vianney
Labels