Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Pivot Table Drilldown like Excel

Sarang
5 - Atom

Hello, I have been searching for a way to have the pivot table output tables perform like Excel's pivot tables so i can drilldown on data such as Excel. I have tried looking through the table tool and cannot find how to set this up but I really would like the functionality of these alteryx table outputs to have a drilldown feature like Excel so I can click a cell and it opens a new tab with my selected summarized data.

Thank you in advance!!

Example:

This is how it would look in excel if you make a pivot. you can drilldown on a certain area and it will open a new tab with the data point you clicked on. Sorry ahead of time for the bad positioning of images.

4-11-2017 3-57-39 PM.jpg4-11-2017 3-58-29 PM.jpg4-11-2017 4-00-07 PM.jpg

How it looks in alteryx is a plain table:

4-11-2017 4-15-38 PM.jpg4-11-2017 4-15-25 PM.jpg

4-11-2017 4-15-48 PM.jpg

2 REPLIES 2
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @Sarang

If I understand you correctly - you're looking for the ability to drill down through your data in a report once the data is delivered?

As far as I know - there's no native way to do this in Alteryx - you could build a macro that would allow you to configure this at design time, but once the report is built and rendered, I'm pretty sure that Alteryx doesn't have native capability to do drill-through like this.

However, this is a very common need - so the common solution that most people use, is to output this data to a Tableau workbook.   Tableau is a visualization tool that has a very tight partnership with Alteryx, and this tool specializes in building dynamic and interactive visualisations - so not only can you drill-in, but you can also filter, repivot etc on the fly.   tableau is very approachable as a tool, and it should be easy for you to download a trial version and give it a try at Tableau.com

Well worth taking a look - and if you feel that there's a capability gap in Alteryx that would benefit from investment - worth reposting this as an Idea under the Ideas section.

cheers @Sarang

Sean

Sarang
5 - Atom

Thank you Sean for your quick and detailed response!

Labels