Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Passing Multiple Tabs into Dynamic Input

roshan_dsouza23
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

I am trying to read a file with with multiple tabs via Dynamic Input. The issue is it has tabs with different names and I only need to pick the one with Report* i.e. Report1, Report2, Report 3.

I used a formula tool to append the Tab name before passing the value to Dynamic Input but unsure how to make the Dynamic Tool not just pick 1 tab but all the tabs starting with Report.

[File] + '|||Report*'

8 REPLIES 8
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@roshan_dsouza23 

How about a filter like Contains([Tab],"Report")?

roshan_dsouza23
6 - Meteoroid

Will this be in the Formula Tool or Dynamic Input?

pedrodrfaria
13 - Pulsar

Hi @roshan_dsouza23 

I personally do not like to use the dynamic input as a batch macro to open files is a much better solution. What kind of file are you working with?

I attached a batch macro that you would plug in instead of the dynamic input. Also added a wf example.

pedrodrfaria_0-1612962466668.png

Pedro.

roshan_dsouza23
6 - Meteoroid

MultiTab lookup.PNGWorking with .xls however I first need to do a Dynamic path derivation followed by looking up multiple files in a directory and then under the multiple files multiple tabs.

I have done the first 2 bits i.e. Dynamic path derivation and Lookup all files , however seems like Dynamic Input doesn't have the flexibility of recursively reading through multiple tabs in each of the files.

FYI - i couldn't open your workflow as there is some version mismatch . I am on 2019.4

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

hey @roshan_dsouza23 

2 quick tips:

a) In your main workflow you do all the work to find the file-path - then you can pass the file-path into a macro using a control parameter.   

- Within that batch macro - you can then use the control-parameter to change the filename on an input tool

- and set that input-tool to return sheet names rather than data on a particular tab

- Formula tool to append sheet name onto file name

- then a dynamic input to read from the file.

b) if you ever have the error that a workflow was done on a newer version of Alteryx - just open up the Alteryx workflow in Notepad, and change the version number to the version you are using, and it will work.

roshan_dsouza23
6 - Meteoroid

Sure.. Will give it a go. 

roshan_dsouza23
6 - Meteoroid

Amazing it worked !

roshan_dsouza23_0-1615428452487.png

DKSMF
5 - Atom

Could you upload this macro?

Labels