Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Parse Error Formula IF AND

danniemme
7 - Meteor

I feel like basic math is made more difficult in Alteryx but perhaps it is just me!

I have a sales by month and year for 4 years. I want to manually pull some sales out of one month ($2565.57 from month 7, 2019) and spread them across several other months all within the same year ($427.595/month to months 1-6, 2019.)

I tried to write an if statement with +/- the actual #s and it was not having it as it was reading the #s as a string. So I did a text input with these numbers and unioned it with my original data set so there's just a column with all my #s for the basic math. The text input data comes through as a double. My sales are a fixed decimal.

My formula is to add a new column "Sales edited" (which will replace my sales after):

IF [Year]='2019' and [Month]='P07' THEN [Sum_Net Sales]-[Reduce P7] ELSEIF [Year]='2019' THEN [Sum_Net Sales]+[Spread P1-P6] ELSE [Sum_Net Sales] ENDIF

I tried to change the text input data to fixed decimal, no luck. I tried to wrap my formula in TONUMBER(), no luck. Data output is fixed decimal.

6 REPLIES 6
JordyMicheal
11 - Bolide

Can you just post a sample of the spreadsheet to work off?

Would be happy to help

DiganP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@danniemme Yeah an example of before/after would be very helpful!

Digan
Alteryx
danniemme
7 - Meteor

added an attachment to original post, included a tab with expected output.

JordyMicheal
11 - Bolide

Capture.JPG

Your formula works just fine, I think you are trying to use Reduce as a command which is an excel function.....

I added Reduce P7 and Spread P1-P6 from a formula to be constant in the workflow. Changed everything to fixed decimal (19.2) but that isn't needed. Then ran your formula as shown below:

IF [Year]=2019 and ([Month]='P07')
THEN [Sum_Net Sales]-[Reduce P7]
ELSEIF [Year] =2019
THEN [Sum_Net Sales]+[Spread P1-P6]
ELSE [Sum_Net Sales] ENDIF

Seems to work just fine, and there is now a line for the Reduce and Spread across every line.
Give it a try 🙂

danniemme
7 - Meteor

thank you!! i didn't catch that i needed to change the year and class to fixed decimal

JordyMicheal
11 - Bolide

@danniemme just for clarification, you don't.

You can leave everything as a certain data type as long as it's numbers.

You don't need to put numbers in quotes though, that treats them as strings

Labels