Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Parallel Block Until Done does not work with AMP engine

ypt
7 - Meteor

Hi there!

I have been testing out a few ways to use the Parallel Block Until Done (PBUD) tool for multiple tabs output to the same Excel file as I have several upstream input files and Block Until Done tool itself will not work and I do not wish to union the different datasets.

1. Turn on AMP engine and 'Unable to open file for zipping' error occurs

2. Turn on AMP engine and ensured the tool containers and output tools are in sequence and  'Unable to open file for write' error occurs

3. Turn off AMP engine and use PBUD tool - ok

4. Turn off AMP engine and removed PBUD tool - ok

In conclusion, I found that as long as the AMP engine is not turned on, I do not need the PBUD tool BUT the workflow will take much longer to run. 

Is there a way to turn on AMP engine and still use PBUD tool?

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@ypt ,

pBUD won't operate with AMP.  A trick that I used before writing pBUD (still I use it) is to count the number of records in my first Excel WRITE before I send data to my second Excel WRITE.  Hopefully, that counting gives your disk a chance to complete (same as pBUD) before it starts sending data to the 2nd sheet.

Here is a before pic:

capture.png

This just won't work.  Excel Sheet 2 will 100% fail.

But if you count the records from #1 and use an APPEND FIELDS tool (uncheck the count), it will nearly 100% work.  Here is a pic:

capture2.png

Until Alteryx provides some sort of control or order, this technique will allow #2 to be blocked until all data from #1 has passed through the blocking SUMMARIZE tool.  Another technique is to use a BATCH macro.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
TonyaS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Have you tried using pBUD with Engine Compatibility Mode with AMP? Does that make a difference? Also, for the regular BUD tool with AMP if your workflow has multiple branches it is important to put the BUD into the branch with the lowest numbered Input tool id. I wonder if that might also apply with the pBUD? I'm sure that @MarqueeCrew knows the most about the pBUD tool, I was just curious if any of this applies also for that tool. 

Tonya Smith
Sr. Technical Product Manager, cloud App Builder
ypt
7 - Meteor

Hi @MarqueeCrew 

Thanks for the alternative solution and I will try it out for future workflow builds. I just found it strange that as long as AMP engine is turned off, I am able to output multiple tabs without adding any "time delay" tools or PBUD tool. 

Are you also able to share a little more on how BATCH macro can help to block the data flow as I am not familiar with it?

ypt
7 - Meteor

Hi @TonyaS 

Yes, I've tried PBUD with Engine Compatibility Mode with AMP and the second output encounters 'Unable to open for write' error. There are a total of 3 output tabs for my workflow. 

As for the 'put the BUD into the branch with the lowest numbered Input tool id.', in my workflow, the first input into the PBUD tool has the lowest numbered input tool followed by the second. 

Either the second or third output always encounter error. 

ypt_0-1659491983158.png

EdP
Alteryx
Alteryx

Additional suggestions can be found here:  https://knowledge.alteryx.com/index/s/article/Error-writing-Excel-file-to-Shared-Drive

Ed Phelps
Sr CSE
Alteryx
Labels