Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Overwrite selected columns and retain content in other columns

MadhuraBuchake
7 - Meteor

Hello All,

I have 13 columns and I need to overwrite only the first 10 columns. The data from columns K-M should remain the same. I tried doing the following things but nothing worked:

1. While saving the sheet I specified the column range. (A-J)

2. In the output tool I specified " data.xlsx|||Overwrite$A:J " by this way, and also used the 'Overwrite Sheet/ Range' option.

Please let me know what can be done.

Please find attached the screenshots.

Thank you!!

20 REPLIES 20
MadhuraBuchake
7 - Meteor

I deselected the last 3 columns. But now I have only first 10 columns in my output sheet :( 

MadhuraBuchake
7 - Meteor

I deselected the last 3 columns in the Select tool. Now I have only 10 columns in the output file :(

alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

It worked for me, and your original configuration looks correct from one of the initial screenshots. Can you send over the workflow? Go to Options > Export Workflow and send the .yxzp.

MadhuraBuchake
7 - Meteor

Thank you for your help! Please find attached workflow

Expected output:

Columns1-10 (from Test Consolidated Data) Columns 11-13 from Static Sheet

alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

This seems to be the .yxmd - can you send over the .yxzp as mentioned above?

MadhuraBuchake
7 - Meteor

Sorry, my bad. Attaching the .yxzp file.

alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Thank you for sending it - however your workflow worked perfectly fine on my end and produced the expected behavior! After I deselected the 3 columns at the end of the Select tool and added the number to the range, it kept the 3 columns at the end as is. I re-saved it and attached it here just in case there is anything subtly different...

MadhuraBuchake
7 - Meteor

Thank you very much for trying, I really appreciate it!! However when I opened your workflow in Alteryx last 3 columns were selected in the Select tool (not sure what's wrong),  and I am still getting the same error.

In the browse tool I am getting only 10 columns :((

alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

That’s correct - the browse tool being after the select means it will only display the 10 columns selected. If you want to see the data before the select tool, you can put a browse earlier in the workflow. 

The Output function should be doing what is needed though - the Browse doesn’t reflect the sheet, just the data going into the sheet which is just those 10 columns. 

MadhuraBuchake
7 - Meteor

My TestOutput1.xlsx is having only 10 columns after deselecting the last 3 columns in Select tool and executing the workflow. I checked all the settings in the workflow and they look good to me. I am not sure what's going wrong :(

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels