Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Indicate a Generic Sheet Name in the Formula Tool

KamenRider
11 - Bolide

Hi Guys,

The sheet name of my excel file differs everyday. The format for example is "Indicatives-20230811-1709". In the sheetname, what changes everyday is the second and third part (which is 20230811 and 1709). Please advise how can I translate it in the formula tool. Below is my syntax in the formula tool but it is getting an error. Is it possible to use * (asterisk) after indicatives?

fullpath.PNG

fullpath2.PNG

Looking forward for your assistance.

Thank,

Kamen 

7 REPLIES 7
Pang_Hee_Choy
12 - Quasar

you change the file input tool. to load by sheetname only. then only use dynamic input or macro to load that sheets. 

if the sheets are too many, you can use filter before dynamic input

Screenshot 2023-08-15 125806.png

KamenRider
11 - Bolide

Hi @Pang_Hee_Choy 

Do you have a sample screenshot or worfklow where I can see on how to do it?

Thank,

Kamen

Pang_Hee_Choy
12 - Quasar

@KamenRider here you go.

Screenshot 2023-08-15 135908.png

KamenRider
11 - Bolide

Hi @Pang_Hee_Choy 

Thanks for the response. However, I am using directory tool in inputs. Is there a way you can give me sample on how to get the sheet name with using this tool?

The structure of my workflow looks like this.

truct.PNG

Thanks and looking forward for your advised.

Kamen

Pang_Hee_Choy
12 - Quasar

@KamenRider you can use two dynamic input tools. one for import sheets name, another for read the sheets.

here the workflow. do generate a blank excel with name "a.xlsx" to run without error. 

Screenshot 2023-08-16 093018.png

KamenRider
11 - Bolide

Hi @Pang_Hee_Choy 

I configure the location of the shared drive in the directory and found an error as follows:

List of sheet name.PNG

error.PNG

sheet name.PNG

Please advised.

Kamen 

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @KamenRider 

Unfortunately, if your file is a .xls file this approach will not work properly. xls files are legacy at this point and use old Microsoft drivers.

One way to approach this problem is by converting the files from .xls to .xlsx and then, apply the method shared by @Pang_Hee_Choy .

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Desktop-Discussions/Formula-to-Read-the-Contents-o...

Labels