Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Overwrite input data and create separate files

sylvia726
6 - Meteoroid

HI Team,

Can I get your help here?

Every month, I have 2 files - one is latest Salesperson Name List and Sales Performance.

1) Sales Performance includes 3 tabs - Chart, Pivot Table and Data. Data tab contains all Sales performance by each Salesperson. 

2) Salesperson Name List is the list that I need to split the Sales performance data for them (marked as "Y") separately with pre-set file name.

Since the Sales performance are confidential for each others, so I need to manually remove the data for other Salesperson in Data tab (keep Chart & pivot tab) and save as separate excel file for each salesperson (marked as "Y" in Salesperson Name list")

May I ask if I can use Alteryx to automate this manual & repetitive tasks? 

Attached the sample data for your reference. My desired output from Alteryx is:

- 3 separate Sales Performance Data files for those salesperson marked "Y"

- remain the tab "Pivot" & "Chart"

- Data tab only contains their own sales performance.

Many thanks!

Regards,

Sylvia

12 REPLIES 12
Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

@sylvia726 

I have answered a similar question here. I believe it can be some help.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Changing-one-sheet-of-a-template-outpu... 

sylvia726
6 - Meteoroid

HI Qiu, thanks for your response. But, I am not able to download your workflow from that link.

Can you do me a flavor to help me build the sample workflow for me? 

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @sylvia726 

If you can't download the workflow from @Qiu's link, you won't be able to download it from here either.  Is the problem that you can download it but can't open it because it's a newer Alteryx version.  If so check this link for info on how to downgrade the workflow and included macros to be able to open it in your version of Designer.  If it's not a version issue, post a screen shot of the error you get when you try to download

Dan

sylvia726
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks @danilang I am now able to downgrade and open the sample workflow.

But, it's difficult for me to incorporate my own sample files into these workflow (sorry that I am not very familiarize for those tools...)

@Qiu Is that possible to advise how to create one based on my sample data? Many thanks!

AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @sylvia726 

I made the workflow for you. (I don't look @Qiu 's solution, so this is my approach.)

1. Filter by Salesperson list

2. make filepaths

3. copy template

4. save the data using overwrite sheet by specify a range

AkimasaKajitani_0-1626584753911.png

sylvia726
6 - Meteoroid

Many Thanks @AkimasaKajitani 

I just tried to use this sample workflow to import my real Large data. I have just updated the output setting to ".xlsx|||data$A7:HH1048576".

But, the output file cannot overwrite all the rows. 

For example, one Salesperson only have 1000 row data. The data tab (in separate generated file) for this Salesperson firstly contains his data but then also includes all other Salesperson data from row 1001.

Will you know what's wrong from my workflow?

Many thanks.

AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @sylvia726 

I checked it.

I found that if there are some data, we have to overwrite by space.

I could not take it to workflow.

AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @sylvia726 

I added the making null data into the workflow.

AkimasaKajitani_0-1626664443945.png

Please check it.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

This is the first time I am seeing this method and I am totally mind blown 🤓

Amazing method @AkimasaKajitani I didn't know blobs tools can be used like this to copy files. Definitely bookmarking this 🙂

Labels