Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Output range overwrites columns

SArielle
7 - Meteor

Hi All, 

I have a wonder mystery where my workflow is expected to generate for 10 columns.

The mystery here is that it tends to overwrites all the way till the 26-29th column as it wishes.

My current output path comes with a range ending - for eg "Sales2023.xlsx|||Data $A:N" or ""Sales2023.xlsx|||Data $A1:N50". 

This is because i have excel formula's written on Col. AA to AG and "Perserve Formatting on Overwrite (Range Required)" on the output configuration had also been checked.

Given my output data really only need to go to Col. J, the output ranges that it overstretches also varies each time hence putting a cell range did not seem to contain it either.

Anyone have any idea what could have went wrong here? If you have a working output with existing formulas within the same output worksheet please do share some samples.

Thanks 

5 REPLIES 5
BRRLL99
11 - Bolide

There could be a few reasons for this issue. Here are some suggestions to help you troubleshoot and resolve the problem:

1. Check the data sources: Ensure that the input data sources or upstream tools feeding into your workflow are providing the correct data and not extending beyond the desired columns.

2. Review the formulas in columns AA to AG: Double-check the formulas in these columns to make sure they are not inadvertently referencing additional columns beyond your intended range. Any formula that references columns beyond J could cause the output to extend.

3. Adjust the output configuration: Instead of using a fixed range like "$A:N" or "$A1:N50" in your output configuration, try using a dynamic range that adjusts based on the actual data. For example, you can use the Alteryx formula tools to determine the last non-empty column dynamically and specify the range accordingly. This way, even if the data extends, your output range will be updated accordingly.

4. Remove the "Preserve Formatting on Overwrite" option: If the "Preserve Formatting on Overwrite (Range Required)" option is causing unexpected behavior, you can try unchecking it and see if it resolves the issue. This option is typically used to preserve formatting in Excel when overwriting existing data, but it may interfere with the desired output range in your case.

5. Review the entire workflow: Check all the tools and configurations in your workflow to ensure that there are no unexpected transformations or actions causing the output to extend beyond the desired range. Pay attention to any tools that might manipulate or add columns to your data.

SArielle
7 - Meteor

Referring to your point 2, do you mean I cannot write a formula in excel that calculates on the expected output range from my alteryx output ? 

BRRLL99
11 - Bolide

if your Alteryx workflow is designed to output data up to column J, make sure that the formulas in columns AA to AG do not reference any columns beyond J. If these formulas reference columns K, L, or any columns beyond J, it could cause the output to extend beyond your intended range when the data is written to Excel.

To avoid this issue, review the formulas in columns AA to AG and adjust them as needed so that they only reference data within the intended range (up to column J).

By ensuring that your formulas in Excel are aligned with the expected output range from Alteryx, you can calculate and display the desired results without causing the output to overwrite or extend beyond the intended range.

SArielle
7 - Meteor

Got it. In other words any formula's written in Col. AA to AG cannot refer to Col. AF or AE otherwise it gets eaten up.Thanks!

BRRLL99
11 - Bolide

if this solved your 

please accept this as solution

next time please upload sample data with your expected output.

Labels