Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Output data into a template and save it as a separate file with a different name

siumwan
5 - Atom

Hello, I have been checking multiple topics on the forum but couldn't work out the way I want.

I would like to output data into a template file within a certain range and save it as a separate file with a different name

For Renaming file I am using "Formula" adding "Outputpath" to the file and range I want

For Output Data I am using the "Change Entire File Path"

With the 2 combined, a separate file will be saved but it won't be using the template file I pick...

Seems whenever I click the box "Change Entire File Path" then it will overwrite the "Write to file or Database" connection I pick for output data

Is there any easy way to do what I what? Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
Raj
15 - Aurora

@siumwan 
This is a perfect use case of Blob tools.

Gaurav_Dhama_
8 - Asteroid

Hi @siumwan 

As raj mentioned, blob tools will serve the purpose.

below is a flow how you can achieve that.

blob input (pick the template file) > formula tool (generate a file path) > block until done > blob output (change entire path with new file path). Since the file will be a copy of your template you needn’t worry about replacing the template every now and then as well.

from second node of block until done, append the path to your data and use it to write your data. this way your template will not be used.

The above method is an example of how to use it and may not be the exact solution but it will sever your use case

Labels