Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Output - Overwrite Specific Columns, Not Entire Sheet

Lauren_Holmes
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

I am trying to produce an output from Alteryx, that only overwrites the data in certain columns. The reason being the end columns contain some previous formatting in Excel. I have attached an example output. 

From this example, I would ideally like Alteryx to only overwrite columns A - F with the data.

My flow and output will always contain the same amount of columns, so if I specified A-F there would be no issues of it having extra columns added later down the line. I am unable however to determine the number rows in the output as this number will change frequently.

Please may someone advise if this is possible, and explain how I do this? I have tried using Overwrite Sheet or Range and specify which range but it won't work.

Thank you in advance.

15 REPLIES 15
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Lauren_Holmes 

You can set the range only as column range. This way row range is dynamic/infinite (i,e not be worried about)

Snap:

atcodedog05_0-1641479072894.png

or

atcodedog05_1-1641479135234.png

Hope this helps : )

binuacs
21 - Polaris

@Lauren_Holmes  Add a Count Record to count the number of records then use a formuila tool to create the path and the range if the records are dynamic

binuacs_0-1641479503247.png

binuacs_1-1641479563234.png

ERK
5 - Atom

If I understand the ask you need to write to a range, but don't know the whole range ahead of time due to the number of rows in the data. If this is correct you can:

1. Have the file name as part of your data.
  2. Modify the file name once you know how many rows there are.
    1. Specify the file name, for example: \\PathToFile\FileNameWithExtension|||'WorksheetName$T3:AF6'
    2. T3:AF6 is a range. Have a function to modify this based on how many rows are in your data (start row + count of rows in the data - 1 if column headers are not to be written)
    3. Note: The $ must be there - it is not part of the range itself
  3. Have the OutputData tool take the file name from the input.
    1. Check Take File/Table Name From Field
    2. Select Change Entire File Path from the drop down
    3. Uncheck Keep Field in Output unless you want the file name in a column of your data
    4. Specify the field in the input that contains the file name from step 2.

ERK_0-1641479891333.png

Lauren_Holmes
8 - Asteroid

Hello, 

Thank you. When I do this however, it works, but the old records do not get removed:

My issue is, i don't know how many new rows there will be each time it is ran - sometimes there will be more, and sometimes there will be less.

Is there a way to have it so it removes these extra rows?

Lauren_Holmes_0-1641481214952.png

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Lauren_Holmes 

Write to a large range like below that way all the value below will also be removed. 1,048,576 rows is max allowed rows in excel.

atcodedog05_0-1641481526363.png

Lauren_Holmes
8 - Asteroid

Would it be possible for you to amend this flow please? I have added 99999 onto the end of "F" but I still cannot get it to remove the other rows from previous run. 

Lauren_Holmes
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

I have tried running using this method, but keep having this error come up:

Lauren_Holmes_0-1641481765721.png

Is there something else i need to do?

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Lauren_Holmes 

Reduce the range by 5 or 10 or 50 it should work 😅

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Lauren_Holmes 

Dont do filepath change thing. Just set the workflow like this. This will work

atcodedog05_0-1641482305493.png

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels