Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

On Success - Show results to user not working

32bit
8 - Asteroid

I have an analytic app which is being published to an internal gallery. In the workflow settings I have it set in the interface designer to only display results from one tool only. However, after publishing the settings apparently are changed somehow and at least 8 different tools which are set to not display results are now displaying results. 

See attached screenshots showing tool configuration and workflow xml confirming that only one output is selected.

Does anyone know how to make Alteryx actually do what it is configured to do and stop displaying random tool outputs to the user? I have confirmed that tools showing results are indeed set to False. Thanks ahead of time for your help.

7 REPLIES 7
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @32bit ,

It looks like you're trying to show the results in a format that wouldn't be supported in a web page if they're running it from the gallery.

Try concatenating the xml in a summarise tool and displaying it in .pdf, then set this as the output on complete. If this works, you can mess around with the display format.

Hope this helps,

M.

Bulien

32bit
8 - Asteroid

I take it you don't know about pcxml format?

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Not when it comes to displaying via the gallery.

Bulien

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor
32bit
8 - Asteroid

It's Alteryx's hybrid html output from the render tool. Take a look into it; you'll find it useful. It displays results in the browser without needing to open the file and on desktop it opens in an Alteryx browser like window. The user can view it or choose the file format of their liking and download it such as pdf.

As far as the original topic, I have to consider this a bug with Alteryx software. I spent 4 hours on this yesterday trying different ways to stop Alteryx from showing file outputs that it shouldn't be showing, but it just keeps on showing the same 8 outputs no matter how I configure it and not just the 1 file I want it to show only.

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Right, this isn't a PCXML issue, but rather a need to adjust settings based on execution environment. 

There is a workflow parameter that could be useful in this situation: [Engine.GuiInteraction]. This is a workflow parameter that can be used in expressions that will equal 1/True when the Wizard is running in Designer and 0/False when it is being run from the Gallery/Server. There's a few ways this parameter could be used to disable those outputs, filtering results, batch macros to disable tools, etc. 

The "On Success" settings you showed earlier only relate to running the wizard from Designer (aka [Engine.GuiInteraction]=1) and will not transfer to Server/Gallery (as you have experienced). 

ryanhartman32
7 - Meteor

Hi @CharlieS  - I have run into a similar issue as @32bit and was hoping to follow up on this. 

I have two chained analytic apps in a gallery environment - this is how it works in Designer:

After the first app runs, the user sees a dialogue box and is able to download an Excel sheet. They then are supposed to input information into a column and save the file when they are finished. Then, the next analytic app runs, and they upload the saved file as the input for that analytic app. 

I did not know of the [Engine.GuiInteraction] workflow parameter - now it's clear why the user is not able to download the output file produced by the first analytic app. 

Do you know of a way to adjust my workflow so the user can download the output from analytic app 1, so it could be adjusted and then reuploaded for analytic app 2?

Thank you!

Labels