Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

ODBC Input Auto Choosing Data Type

adamholsenbeck
5 - Atom

Hello All, 

Has anyone experience an issue with Alteryx auto selecting a data type when importing a dataset via an ODBC connection? 

For example:

I created a connection from a data source, however, Alteryx auto selected Call ID to a double when importing the data directly into Alteryx. Because of this – we are missing data from the source. We would want this field to be a string instead. I have tried using "Cast" in the SQL statement to change the data type, but that is still populating some of the data as null. 

Screenshot 2024-06-27 103932.png

5 REPLIES 5
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

What is the database. How is your ODBC configured. What happens when you use IN-DB? What is your cast statement? There are a variety of reasons this can happen including:

1) Alteryx error.

2) Driver error.

3) Configuration issue in the driver.

cjaneczko
13 - Pulsar

You could try using a normal Input tool and then checking the box off that says First Row contains data. This will bring all the fields in as String and then you can update them as needed afterwards. 

adamholsenbeck
5 - Atom

1. The database I am pulling from Is smartsheet. 

2.Screenshot 2024-06-27 110039.png

SELECT [Call ID], CAST([Call ID] AS VARCHAR(255)),

[Created],

[Create Date Trim],

[Row ID],

[Team Member Name],

[EPIC_ID],

[Date Of Call],

[QA Type],

[Evaluation Score],

[QA Analyst],

[Call Notes],

[Manager],

[Supervisor],

[Queue],

[Report Week],

[Report Month],

[Queue Date],

[Name Queue Merge]

FROM "Contact Center QA__4050175611168644s_(Contact Center)"

adamholsenbeck
5 - Atom

Do you mean export the data from the data source into an excel file and then have the excel file input in the workflow? 

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

The smartsheet ODBC is terrible. I would expect that this is a limitation of that product and look at using the API instead.

FYI - on general issues with casting:

https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/115518/how-to-prevent-smartsheet-api-from-converting-cer...

I'd ask on the Smartsheet forum.

Labels