Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

ODBC Connection to RedShift Only Pulling First Letter from RedShift

JordyMicheal
11 - Bolide

Hey all!

Have an issue on 2022.1 that when I query RedShift that fields stored as strings only bring back the first character.

IE: The field might be A4234523482379429 and it would only return A.

Things stored as Ints work just fine though.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jordan

12 REPLIES 12
kathleenmonks
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @JordyMicheal,

Any chance your driver is configured to truncate strings? If you go into the advanced options for your ODBC data sources, you can find the setting. See the below screenshot as an example:

kathleenmonks_0-1665604290328.png

jonriddle
8 - Asteroid

I'm seeing similar results.  For the Redshift ODBC Driver, I am not seeing a default string column length option in ODBC data sources.  @JordyMicheal , were you able to resolve this problem?

deangewa
5 - Atom

Running into a similar issue.  Was anyone able to resolve this issue?  Connection/workflow was working fine.  I upgraded designer to 2022.3.1 Patch 2 and workflow stopped working.  I just installed version Version: 2022.1.1.42619 and still returning just the first character of strings.

Very frustrating.    

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Are you running the driver from Amazon or the Redshift driver from Alteryx? I had this with one of the drivers I downloaded from Amazon and swapped over to the Alteryx certified driver and that fixed it. I'm on the Simba Amazon Redshift 1.4.56.1000. Check to see if your .msi file is AmazonRedshiftODBC...or Simba Amazon Redshift...

Note - I'm also running 21.4 on this system...

deangewa
5 - Atom

Thank You!  Downloaded the Simba driver and problem is now reoslved.

August
6 - Meteoroid

I had a similar issue and solved it by using the Amazon Redshift 64 bit driver version 1.04.10.1000

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

@August - can you confirm its the SIMBA driver? can you share a screenshot of your odbc 64?

August
6 - Meteoroid

2023-10-23_odbc.jpg

We resolved the Alteryx string field truncation issue by using the Amazon Redshift 64 Bit ODBC driver version 1.04.10.1000  to 1.04.62.1000. The Simba driver worked as well but our DBA'S didn't want to use it on the Gallery. 

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Curiously it appears that Amazon has two different Redshift ODBC drivers with two different numbering systems?

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/redshift/latest/mgmt/configure-odbc-connection.html

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/redshift/latest/mgmt/odbc20-install-config-win.html

One is published by Amazon Web Services, Inc. and the other by Amazon Inc. Now I'm curious.

Labels