Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Nrecords were generated by an N - Dimensional Join key ( Business Region: XYZ ,Cou. : ABC)

PiyushJain
8 - Asteroid

Hi Team,

Good Morning, 

I am facing below error/warning in alteryx designer workflow.

Error:

" 128 records were generated by an N - Dimensional Join key ( Business Region: XYZ ,COUNTRY: ABC).

My expected output rows : 210 to 250 rows

But i am getting 2300 rows

I checked and found ,output rows contains few null records, i sucpect that because of NULL ,my multiple join tool getting to much records like 2300 rows. ( but not sure).

I Tried below 2 options 

1. Warn on multidimensional joins....

2. Error on multidimensional  joins....

But still getting same above error.

I also tried option " Allow All multidimensional..."

But result is not expected. 

My input to Multiple Join tool is not contain any NULL ,But output contains Null values.

I checked throughly, but not able to figure out from where these nulls are coming. 

Please advise how to resolve the  issue.

Regards 

Piyush J

6 REPLIES 6
TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

hi @PiyushJain 

Are you able to upload your datasets, or workflow packaged with datasets, so we can see the problem exactly?

Cheers,
TheOC

Bulien
PiyushJain
8 - Asteroid

Hi TheOC,

Thanks for your reply..

Unfortunately i am not able to share any dataset.

I tried as much as possible to explain my issue.

Please advise the possibilities of error and how to resolve. 

Regards 

Piyush Jain.

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @PiyushJain ,

Instead of going with the multidimensional join, try to do the joins one by one and see if the result you get makes any sense for you. If you have on some cases that the value on the key column is null, I would remove it from the join and add it afterwards with a union so that you don't use it and get unwanted results.

Try it that way and see if it works out.

Regards

TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

hey @PiyushJain 

Without the data, its very hard to troubleshoot and show you exactly why this is happening - however I've created a workflow to help show why it would happen:

TheOC_0-1638177524789.png

What is happening in my case - is that i am joining 3 datasets on one value. All of which contain 3 of the same value, '1'. This results in 3 records joining to 3 records (making 9 records), and then those 9 joining to another 3, creating 27. This is an N - dimensional join.

as @afv2688 said, you can split this out into specific joins, to show where this is happening, this is also in my workflow.

As of getting around it - i would again find it difficult without the data - but you could summarize your data prior, or ensure you are joining on a primary key, and that there are no duplicates in any of the datasets. The unique tool will help you do this (https://help.alteryx.com/20213/designer/unique-tool).

Hope this helps!
TheOC

Bulien
PiyushJain
8 - Asteroid

Thanks TheOC and @afv2688

I am following the same ,hope will get the expected results .

Will keep you posted on the same.

Regards

Piyush Jain

PiyushJain
8 - Asteroid

Hi Team,

So as a next step ,,i used simple join and used brows tools to collect the output.

Please note ,there are 6 brows tool for 6 join output,and there is null values coming as of now.

NOW outputof each join i connected to multiple join tool.

And prooceed and this time i again found so many data and workflow need to stop because it shows too many records.

Please advise what to do.

Labels