Alert: There is a planned Community maintenance outage October 16th from approximately 10 - 11 PM PST. During this time the Alteryx Community will be inaccessible. Thank you for your understanding!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Need to update value which is selected in drop-down to new value

Deepa_1011
Atome

Hi All,

I have a requirement where the data in the database needs to be updated using alteryx.

So for that i have created a dropdown which has  all the data. I even have a text box for updating value but the issue is i am not able to update the data of selected record from dropdown into the database.

Can you help me with that also is there any best way instead of dropdown bcoz there may be scenario where dropdown may have 1000s of records. So i wanted to check if we type a value in the text box and i get related words in drop-down.

For eg: user has typed "stu" and we get all the words starting from stu. 

It would be really helpful if someone can help me out.

7 RÉPONSES 7
rzdodson
Quasar

@Deepa_1011 I think I can help you out here. When able, would you mind sharing your workflow? I think it is going to be a mix of Interface and In-Database tools - maybe even developing a chained app - to then overwrite the table you are wanting to update the table in.

rzdodson
Quasar

@Deepa_1011 here is a very small example on the process I was thinking of.

What you would do is set up your app to update the fields you are wanting to query or overwrite in the original data set, then attach those records back to the original data table, before passing them in to the database where they are being stored.

1 - Potential Solution.png

Deepa_1011
Atome

Hi rzdodson,

Thank you for your response.

I have attached a sample workflow, so i select a field testing from the dropdown and type "testing1" in the textbox.
It should be replaced as testing1 in the excel which in my case will be database.

Also, I was not sure how to connect with IN-DB so I have not tried it.
But if you can guide me through it, it would be really helpful.

Thank you Again.

rzdodson
Quasar

Hi @Deepa_1011 

Did some slight modifications to the workflow from above. Basically what we need to do is filter the data we would like to change (Filter 13), change that specific category in the relevant records (Formula 16), and then union the two record sets back together (Union 17). Repeat for as many changes that needs to happen.

2- Solution.png

From Browse (18) and onward, that is where you'll insert the In-Database tools you need to get the data back up in to your data warehouse environment.

Since you haven't ever created that type of connection, I would highly recommend taking a look at these articles here: 

DSN - https://help.alteryx.com/20231/designer/connect-sql-server-database

ODBC/OLEDB - https://help.alteryx.com/20231/designer/odbc-and-oledb-database-connections

These are the ones I personally read when I was establishing my first database connections.

Hope this helps! :)

jdminton
Quasar

@rzdodson Good workflow. There is one error though. Since there are no records after the dynamic rename tool, it doesn't provide the words in the dropdown. I added a blank row of data to feed them in here.

Snag_d9a2f93.pngSnag_d9a5dc7.png

rzdodson
Quasar

@jdminton oops, that was my bust.

Changed the Drop Down (8) tool configuration to take on "Fields from Connected Tool". With that in mind, it should be picking up the headers as intended without the need to add an additional row.

3 - Dynamic Rename.png

4 - Drop Down 8.png

5 - Drop Down from App.png

Deepa_1011
Atome

Thank You for helping me out.
The solution provided by you is creating a new column and updating the data.

My requirement is as below:

For eg: If I select Alteryx from the dropdown, I want in place of Alteryx the data needs to updated which I input in the textbox tool.

So next time if i open the dropdown, Alteryx should not be present, i want the new value there.

Étiquettes