Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Need Help with Multi-Row Formula

mallieteal21
6 - Meteoroid

Hello - I'm trying to filter this list to find the employees who have not completed a Bachelors degree. I think I need to use a multi-row formula, but not sure how to write the expression to filter each row as some employees have multiple lines in the data (i.e. one line for Associates, Bachelors, Masters, etc.).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  

5 REPLIES 5
alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Sounds like you need to concatenate your data, filter to values that do not contain Bachelors, and Join it back to the original. Workflow incoming

alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Try this out:

CoG
13 - Pulsar

While @alexnajm 's approach is correct, the workflow does not account for a couple factors:

1. You cannot simply filter on whether "Bachelor" is contained in the concatenated list (clever strategy though) because "Bachelors not completed" is one of the values in [Level]
  2. You also need to account for whether "Bachelors" is the highest stated level of education, but where Graduated is "N", indicating that that individual never "completed" his "Bachelors" degree.
  3. Finally the case where an individual's only associated records contain levels of education above Bachelors (e.g. Masters, PhD, etc.) that would indicate that Bachelor's degree was completed, even though no record explicitly states that this is the case.

Here is another sample that addresses these factors although there is an interesting case that you will need to decide how to handle where an individual has "Bachelors" level education with [Graduated] set to "N" even though a graduation date is listed (my workflow assumes that [Graduated] has higher priority). My workflow assumes that Masters, PhD, and Juris Doctor degree-holders have all completed Bachelors degree, and that no other categories have completed Bachelors degree.

_Main.png

alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

If @CoG's assumptions are correct, then yes these are good additions. Based on the initial question, my basic premise still applies - use a list of IDs that meet your criteria and Join it back to the original data to keep those records.

mallieteal21
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you both, this is exactly what I needed! 

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels