Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Multiple similar file but structure is not consistent

dchin
7 - Meteor

I'm trying to build a macro off a few files, but for one of the input file, the structure and header is not always the same.  Few variation of the file, would an empty row above the header, header naming is slightly off, or table start in column B instead of A. 

Is there a way for Alteryx to format the structure if I were to somehow provide a template for it to follow?   See attached mockup. 

Thanks in advance.  

5 REPLIES 5
binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@dchin in your desired template what would be the actual column names? is it the below ones

image.png

dchin
7 - Meteor

Yes, the headers should be the below.  But sometimes I receive files with a slight variation like the one listed under "version 2" sample.   

Order ID

Order Date

Customer ID

Segment

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@dchin try the below method, this might be working for your use-case

dchin
7 - Meteor

Thank you!  This works if I were to manually input the file.  Is there a way to run this automatically?  

For instance, I want to create the workflow where user will drop the input file into a folder.  Then have Alteryx pick up that file from the folder and it will basically determine which version to run whether it version 1,2, or 3.

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@dchin If the column names are same in all the input file I think you can use this workflow, this should work all your given scnario, one thing is you need to mention only the field names in a given file

Labels