Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Multiple Find and Replace

MohammedBurhaan
6 - Meteoroid
Account NoNameEmail Subject LineDesired Output_Email Subject Line
111JackHi [Name] - Your account is [Account No]Hi Jack - Your account is 111
222RobHi [Name] - Greetings.Hi Rob - Greetings.
333LouisHi - Greetings.Hi - Greetings.

Hi guys,

I would want a solution to the above, I have a field 'Email Subject Line' which might or might not need the data contained in other fields, I want a dynamic mechanism by which I can read the 'Email Subject Line' and just replace the fields of variables with exact variable values.

I would want a way to get that as show in the last column 'Desired Output_Email Subject Line'

Please note that, it can have any number of variables in it, sometimes 0 or sometimes 10 or any number of variables names of the available columns in it.

Please help

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14
gawa
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

hi @MohammedBurhaan 

When you need to take care of dynamic number of columns, it is recommended to Transpose data into vertical shape first. By doing so, you will always have the same schema: [Name], [Value]

In your case, you also need to configure Multi Row Formula to do your task. Here is the WF for you reference. 

image.png

MohammedBurhaan
6 - Meteoroid

Hey,

I have added a new column as desired output, can you look into it and elaborate in more detail please?

gawa
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@MohammedBurhaan Did you check and run my WF in the above post? If not yet, please check it first, and tell me what you are not clear about!

BS_THE_ANALYST
14 - Magnetar

. Trying to find another route

BS_THE_ANALYST
14 - Magnetar

@MohammedBurhaan 

Okay, this is my route. 

It's dynamic and it should also be fast. Let me know your thoughts @gawa but I think its better than the multi-row due to the hardcoding. It's also nice as we're not iterating.

Multiple_find_replace.png

All the best,

BS

MohammedBurhaan
6 - Meteoroid

Hey

Thanks, this looks easy and quick.

I would love to see the entire solution, but I cannot view it since I do not have an Alteryx License (my trial got over last week lol).

BS_THE_ANALYST
14 - Magnetar

@MohammedBurhaan 

So Alteryx has expired and you no longer have access to Alteryx? Not sure how I'm meant to help besides the solution I've provided.

If you don't have alteryx, just solve this problem in Python. ChatbotGPT it and you'll have it solved and sorted in 30 minutes tops. Probably won't be as efficient as this solution, it'll likely iterate over each of the columns in conjunction with .apply() to perform the replacement.

Failing that, download the workflow and open it in notepad++ to see the underlying XML and go crazy with it.

All the best,

Ben 

gawa
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

hi @BS_THE_ANALYST I like yours. It's another solution!

Just a tiny thing...but let me comment. If e-mail subject line contains some words enclosed by [ ], that are not intended to be replaced, your WF append record ID at top of the word inside [ ].

For example, see record ID=4 in the below snap shot. Original data had the word [Dummy] (it should appear as [Dummy] in a result), and it comes out as [4Dummy] in a result column. We need to take care of this exception somehow.

image.png 

Needless to say, the best practice is to avoid using [ ] as a part of words, if we apply the logic that relies on the assumption "variables are always enclosed by [ ]".😅

flying008
14 - Magnetar

Hi, @MohammedBurhaan 

A dynamic solution for your information:  [As @gawa said, If line of 'e-mail subject line' contains some words enclosed by [ ], but not exist in the fields name, then need more logic to pass it . but anyway, we can do it! ] 😁

录制_2024_03_16_16_16_47_883.gif

Labels