Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Multi-Field Formula Woes

gary9257
5 - Atom

Hello All,

I am extremely new to Alteryx and have ran into an issue while trying to cleanse some data. The data I am cleansing has singular numbers in a few of the cells. It is just the number "2". I am attempting to replace all of these 2s with a null field. I added a Multi-Field Formula with the expression:

IF [column-name0]==2 THEN NULL()
ELSEIF [column-name1]==2 THEN NULL()
ELSEIF [column-name2]==2 THEN NULL()
ELSEIF [column-name3]==2 THEN NULL()
ELSEIF [column-name4]==2 THEN NULL()
ELSEIF [column-name5]==2 THEN NULL()
ELSEIF [column-name6]==2 THEN NULL()
ELSE [_CurrentField_]
ENDIF

I am very embarrassed, again, because I am so new to this software. However, I was hoping this expression would go down each of my columns and change any singular 2s to nulls. If there is not a 2 in the field, then I wanted the information to be left as is. This has not been the case. When ran, it makes every cell in a row with a 2 null. When I run the above expression, it changes every cell in the column to null.

If anyone could recommend a fix to me, or explain to me why the entire row becomes null, I would GREATLY appreciate it. Thank you in advance! 

3 REPLIES 3
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

You're gonna kick yourself, the formula you want is just this:

IF tostring([_CurrentField_])=='2' THEN null()
ELSE [_CurrentField_] ENDIF

You are getting those results because you're specifying rules like "IF 501C5==2 then null()", even when the [_CurrentField_] may be your [Account Line Item] field. So the end result is effectively "501C5==2 then [Account Line Item]==null()"

Edit: I added the tostring( just because I was applying this to "All Type of" fields in my test and that forces it to work. 

gary9257
5 - Atom

Wow, thank you SO much. This worked perfectly and your explanation makes a lot of sense. I greatly appreciate it!

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Happy to help! Also, congrats on your first post. I hope this inspires you to stay involved and keep growing with the rest of us.

Labels