Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Monthly Formatted Reports

mystasz
8 - Asteroid

Hello!

I'm trying to schedule my Alteryx workflow so that it uploads a new file for every month, formatted the same way as my template. 

Process:

- Each month, my SQL query pulls data from the previous month. 

- On April 1st, it would pull all of March 2024. The "Date pulled" column will say 4/1/2024. The file name will be 'User Testing_March 2024' and the sheet name would be March 2024

- On May 1st, it would pull all of April 2024. The "Date pulled" column will say 5/1/2024. The file name will be 'User Testing_April 2024' and the sheet name would be April 2024

I have attached two sample excel documents where the format will be used. This is my template document. I want to make sure the headers are bold, date of birth and date pulled are date format. I also want to make sure the report is always left justified. 

Every month, I want it to overwrite to this format so that I don't have to keep going into it monthly to update the format.

I was able to create the below columns using the "Date Pulled" column. 

Month/Year = DateTimeFormat(DateTimeParse([Date Pulled], "%Y-%m-%d"), "%B %Y") which gives March 2024. 

FileName = 'User Testing_' 

FileName + M/Y = [FileName] + [Month/Year] which gives User Testing_March 2024

Any idea how I can accomplish this?

12 REPLIES 12
mystasz
8 - Asteroid

This works perfectly, thanks so much. 

mystasz
8 - Asteroid

@abe_ibanez - With the approach we took for this solution, we’re technically putting text into a table within excel which converts all fields to string. 

If there was a date column, do you know of a way to retain date format? It seems like all dates switch to string when using the render tool.

I currently have to go into the newly generated excel file and change all string dates to date format using a formula. If you know of a better way, let me know!  

abe_ibanez
9 - Comet

Hello, 

Sorry for the delayed response. 

I believe that for Excel to automatically detect the filed as a date, it must be formatted as dd/MM/yyyy. You would need a datetime -> string tool right before you create your table to create that specific filed. 

You can still use the date filed within Alteryx (the yyyy-MM-dd) for your formulas, and then just render the dd/MM/yyyy one to the excel report. 

Labels