Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Monthly Formatted Reports

mystasz
8 - Asteroid

Hello!

I'm trying to schedule my Alteryx workflow so that it uploads a new file for every month, formatted the same way as my template. 

Process:

- Each month, my SQL query pulls data from the previous month. 

- On April 1st, it would pull all of March 2024. The "Date pulled" column will say 4/1/2024. The file name will be 'User Testing_March 2024' and the sheet name would be March 2024

- On May 1st, it would pull all of April 2024. The "Date pulled" column will say 5/1/2024. The file name will be 'User Testing_April 2024' and the sheet name would be April 2024

I have attached two sample excel documents where the format will be used. This is my template document. I want to make sure the headers are bold, date of birth and date pulled are date format. I also want to make sure the report is always left justified. 

Every month, I want it to overwrite to this format so that I don't have to keep going into it monthly to update the format.

I was able to create the below columns using the "Date Pulled" column. 

Month/Year = DateTimeFormat(DateTimeParse([Date Pulled], "%Y-%m-%d"), "%B %Y") which gives March 2024. 

FileName = 'User Testing_' 

FileName + M/Y = [FileName] + [Month/Year] which gives User Testing_March 2024

Any idea how I can accomplish this?

12 REPLIES 12
mystasz
8 - Asteroid

This works perfectly, thanks so much. 

mystasz
8 - Asteroid

@abe_ibanez - With the approach we took for this solution, we’re technically putting text into a table within excel which converts all fields to string. 

If there was a date column, do you know of a way to retain date format? It seems like all dates switch to string when using the render tool.

I currently have to go into the newly generated excel file and change all string dates to date format using a formula. If you know of a better way, let me know!  

abe_ibanez
9 - Comet

Hello, 

Sorry for the delayed response. 

I believe that for Excel to automatically detect the filed as a date, it must be formatted as dd/MM/yyyy. You would need a datetime -> string tool right before you create your table to create that specific filed. 

You can still use the date filed within Alteryx (the yyyy-MM-dd) for your formulas, and then just render the dd/MM/yyyy one to the excel report. 

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels