Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Match inputs based on tab name, group those to keep outputs combined by tab name

ewall
7 - Meteor

Not sure if this is possible, but I have existing workflows that, upon output, go into Excel and 'Change File/Table Name' by a 'field containing file name or part of file name' (keep field in output is checked). Everything in that flow is working as expected and desired.

However, I also have a second workflow with slightly different data, but that is still separated by the exact same criteria above. I would now like to combine the outputs by that same Field Containing File Name.

Example:

Workflow #1 results in an Excel output with tab names of John Smith, Sara Smith, and Brian Smith.

Workflow #2 results in an Excel output (new file, different data from workflow #1) with tab names of John Smith, Sara Smith, and Brian Smith.

Desired FINAL output:

Excel output with 1 workbook per tab name - so, Workbook A would have two tabs for John Smith (John Smith 1 & John Smith2 ). Workbook B would have two tabs for Sara Smith. Workbook C would have two tabs for Brian Smith.

Thanks in advance!

6 REPLIES 6
vizAlter
12 - Quasar

Hi @ewall — FYI, user cannot assign the exact same name to more than one worksheet. Worksheet name must be unique in MS Excel.

ewall
7 - Meteor

@vizAlter -doh. Let me revise - I just want to group the outputs where they match on the inputs, but I'm open to renaming them as needed - so John Smith1 John Smith2 would be okay.

vizAlter
12 - Quasar

@ewall — Try this solution, it will give you an idea:

vizAlter_0-1620867705779.png

Make sure that you configure each "Input Data" and "Dynamic Input" tool as below:

vizAlter_2-1620867853489.png

and

vizAlter_1-1620867830229.png

Please mark this solved if it helps.

ewall
7 - Meteor

Thanks @vizAlter - that definitely works up to a point, but I need to avoid creating the filter based on the names. There are too many (100+ names) to create filters for each (and isn't really a time savings over just manually creating new files based on the tab names), which is why I wanted it to auto-group based on the name containing "Brian Smith" and "John Smith".

Any other thoughts?

vizAlter
12 - Quasar

@ewall — Try this solution for an idea:

Scenario-1) Import multiple Excel Workbooks with multiple Worksheets

Scenario-2) Output/Export multiple Excel Workbooks with multiple Worksheets

vizAlter_0-1621711524508.png

FYI - Assuming that you have similar kind of data structure for each worksheet of all the Excel workbooks:

Run this workflow inside the folder where you have all the Excel files.

Please mark this solved if it helps!

ewall
7 - Meteor

@vizAlter does this only work if they have the same data on both tabs? I have the same number of columns on each, but they are different (i.e. Column B is Metric A on tab 1 for John Smith, but Column B is Metric B on tab 2 for John Smith - so they cannot be combined). I'm just getting one of the tabs' column headers on the output which is why I'm asking (and there's only 1 tab per person - John Smith only has 1 tab when I run the workflow). 

Labels