Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Macro - Prompt for specific columns

xinruitang
5 - Atom

Hi all,

At work we have a very long workflow that we use repetitively that I would like to streamline and change it to a macro. The workflow only requires three columns: "Customer ID", "Date", "Value". 

As I try to make this macro as easy as possible for people to use, I want to minimize the modifications needed to the source file prior to running this macro. As the sources files usually have way more columns, and the columns might be in various names. For example, the Customer ID column might be called "Customer name", "Customer", etc, and the Value column might be called "Amount", "Revenue", etc. Is there a way I can prompt the users for the columns they think fit? The below are my ideal macro input interface:

Please select the column for "Customer ID (String)"

[Drop down of source columns]

Please select the column for "Date (Date)"

Please select the column for "Value (Double)"

I tried using the "Update Select with Reverse Field Map" function and it doesn't seem to be servicing the function that i wanted. Basically i want no matter what the input names are, the output names should be "Customer ID", "Date" and Value". Please let me know if you have any idea how to tackle this. Thanks! 

xinruitang_1-1573084170023.png

3 REPLIES 3
MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

@xinruitang 

Have a look whether the attached works.

- I created 3 dropdowns which are dynamically populated with fields from a data stream connected to the macro

- The selected values will be fed into Dynamic Rename and renamed accordingly

'IF [_CurrentField_]="'+[#1]+'" 
THEN "Customer ID"
ELSEIF [_CurrentField_]="'+[#2]+'" 
THEN "Date"
ELSEIF [_CurrentField_]="'+[#3]+'" 
THEN "Value" 
ELSE [_CurrentField_] 
ENDIF'

rename-macro.png

xinruitang
5 - Atom

Thank you @MichalM! This works like magic. 

DiganP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@xinruitang Attached is another example. Its a different approach from @MichalM  🙂

Capture.PNG

Digan
Alteryx
Labels