Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

List Tool

udayan
7 - Meteor

I have a dataset. It has 5 distinct year (data type is double) & want to extract data using the year. I want to extract data using the list tool. When I select any year it show me an error. I attached my workflow and the error. I will be grateful if anyone give me a solution or if the solution already given then kindly give me the link.

6 REPLIES 6
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @udayan 

Here is how you can do it.

Configure filter tool like below to allow list of years

atcodedog05_0-1633603362736.png

Configure List Box tool like below

atcodedog05_1-1633603403581.png

Configure action tool like below

atcodedog05_2-1633603432934.png

Workflow:

atcodedog05_3-1633603586522.png

Hope this helps : )

udayan
7 - Meteor

I got your point but my dataset already have a column "mvemodyr7" where all the year value like 2013,2014,2015, 2016 & 2017 are given and I extracted the unique year value using my data_1 and saving that value into another file named as trial4. I don't want to put the year value manually because for this data_1 number of unique year value is little (only 5 values) in amount but if the amount is large then it is very difficult. I attached my settings also the dataset which is feed in the tool.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @udayan 

That would also work here is the updated workflow.

Hope this helps : )

udayan
7 - Meteor

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate your work. I have one small small doubt that I add below.  I want to know why we have to configure the tool box like this. I understand the rest of the things. 

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @udayan,

Because it's a list box you may select more than one value (i.e 2017 and 2019). Alteryx needs to know how to deal with multiple values, in this case it generates a custom list concatenating the values with a comma between:

Therefore when it goes into the IN() function you keep records that are 2017 or 2019.

Kind regards,

Jonathan

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @udayan 

Another point to add is

Numeric list goes like this (2017,2018)

String list goes like this ("2017","2018")

Based on your requirement you need to set the options

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels