Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLUCIONADO

Linear regression - datefield input

uhoelker
Átomo

Dear all,

I'm aiming to do a simple linear regression but I struggle to properly input my data. I have the following fields:

• Year (Integer)
  • Month (Integer)
  • KPI (Double; will help to forecast the Target KPI)
  • Target KPI (Double)

See below a snippet of the input data:

input data.JPG

What I did so far is:

Lin Reg.JPG

As you can see the fields 'Year' and 'Month' are treated individually. Instead, I'd like to create a combined date field such as yyyy-mm-01 and use this as a predictor together with the field 'KPI'.

However, when I do this, the newly created date-field doesn't show up in the predictors menu.

In Tableau, where this work is done in the background, the result looks quite nice:

tableau.JPG

Can someone please point me in the right direction to create my regression based on the 2 predictors 'Date' and 'KPI'?

Many thanks in advance

5 RESPOSTAS 5
alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

If you are working with date data, you might want to instead use the Time Series tools!

This might be helpful to start: Performing Time Series Forecasting in Alteryx Designer - Alteryx Community

uhoelker
Átomo

Thanks for the quick response!

Yes, I also use ETS / ARIMA. But in addition, I want to do the linear regression.

OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@uhoelker as @alexnajm says you'll want to use a time series tool (ARIMA or ETS) to do a time series prediction most likely. 

However, you can combine the Year and Month fields to create a new numeric field with a formula like:

[Year]+(([Month]-1)/12)

This will allow you to do your linear regression

Hope that helps,

Ollie

uhoelker
Átomo

Oh, that's smart and simple at the same time.

Thank you!

OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@uhoelker 
I just did this approach with superstore and it does seem to marry
AlteryxAlteryxTableauTableau

Enquetes
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Rótulos