Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Left join field from input file with SQL Query

youngjw
6 - Meteoroid

I've search high and low, and can't quite get to what I think I need.  Here is my situation.

I have a 'large' file (180K records) with 3 columns of data that looks like below.  Lets call the file ASSETS.CSV

CODE              SERIAL_NUMBER               ACCOUNT

ABC                  LK100222                            123456789

ABC                  MN012345                           123456789

ABC                  PQR12345                           123456780

Need to, effectively, use the is file a DB and left join SERIAL_NUMBER with data in an actual table.  lets call the table  PARTS_SALES

The PARTS_SALES table will have millions of rows and 00s of columns

I effectively need to be able to:

SELECT a1.serial_no, a1.col2, a1.col3, a1col3, a1.col5, b1.SERIAL_NUMBER, b1.ACCOUNT

FROM ASSETS.CSV b1

LEFT JOIN PARTS_SALES a1 ON b1.SERIAL_NUMBER = a1.serial_no

Is there a straight forward way to do this.

4 REPLIES 4
OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @youngjw 
There are a number of ways of doing this, but probably the easiest is using the in-db tool palette. You can stream your csv into a temp table and then create the left join. All of this will happen in the database, so you won't need to download the millions of sales records to your designer instance unnecessarily

image.png

youngjw
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks Ollie, I have some learning to do on the stream in tool, but this looks exactly like what I need to do.  thanks!

OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@youngjw the Stream In/Out tools let you switch modalities and take data into the database, or into memory. Yours is the perfect use-case for the Stream In tool

youngjw
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks Ollie!

So my situation is this.  In a large corporation and not a lot of flexibility to get write access to a DB, especially co-located on the table with 00s of millions of rows.

Is it fair to say that it is not possible to more simply just use Join tool to join two Input Data tools (one linked to input file, 00k rows and the other a sql statment 00sM rows). ?

Labels