Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Leap Year

novice1
8 - Asteroid

Hi all,

I have the Period Start and Period End Date as I need to extract data for whole year up to and including yesterday and compare this to the same period last year.

I am using following formula to work out date today last year

DateTimeAdd(DateTimeToday(), -364, "days")

this is taking into consideration that this year is leap year. Therefore if today is Friday 11/12/2020 - same Friday last year was 13/12/2019

Everything is working as intended, except i can see issue occurring when i will need to calculate the same for non-non leap year. 

Is there a way to design this flexibly, even for longer time periods?

Please see my formulas as they are at the moment down below:

12 REPLIES 12
novice1
8 - Asteroid

@Qiu 

thank you.

can you share a solved workflow please?

Now I am getting Type mismatch error.

I find date formulas quite tricky thing to get my head around. 

Your help in resolving this is much appreciated.

Tyro_abc
11 - Bolide

I modified your formula slightly and it seems to be working, there were some issues with the data type. Please find the workflow attached.

The real definition of Leap Year:

The number should be divisible by 4 and Not divisible by 100. The second condition is required when the year is 1700 or 1900. That is why I used an OR condition to include those years which end with '00'. In that case, the number should be divisible by 400. 

The practical definition of Leap Year: 

We can only check if the number is divisible by 4, other scenario won't come anywhere between 2010 and 2099 ( more than our lifetime 🙂

** If you are using one formula inside another formula, then the first one needs to defined before/above the dependent formula**

novice1
8 - Asteroid

Thank you.

I was able to modify my original query and it works now. 🙂

Changed year into Date Type Int32 🙂

Labels