Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Leading 0's Help For Zip Codes

Nova700
6 - Meteoroid

Hello,

First post so hopefully this makes sense!  I have some very weird zip code data and I am trying to normalize it.

The data varies in length so I am trying to do it in multiple steps.

I want to trim everything to 5 digits and if it is shorter than 5 I want to add leading 0's.

TONUMBER(LEFT(TOSTRING([Service Zip Code]),5))      #trims to 5 spaces

PadLeft(tostring([Service Zip Code]),5,"0")  #tried and it throws an error saying that it needs to be a number

ToNumber(PadLeft(tostring([Service Zip Code]),5,"0"))  #works but doesn't add 0's to front because it is a number.  

Any help modifying this would be much appreciated.  Thank you!

7 REPLIES 7
LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Hey @Nova700

This is correct formula: PadLeft(tostring([Service Zip Code]),5,"0") 

I would suggest that you either add a select tool before the formula and make Zip code a string or create a new formula field (like Zip Code Formatted) which will stop the error.

If neither work, some sample data would be helpful

Nova700
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks @LordNeilLord

So I was able to use Select to change the data type and PadLeft(tostring([Service Zip Code]),5,"0") did work, but whenever I add any additional code to cut the rest of the zip codes to 5 digits it then removed the 0 on the front.

The other issue I have is that if I trim some of the zip codes to 5 digits it is an invalid zip, an extra 0 needs to be removed from the end and added to the front.

ex: 88610000 needs to be 08861, not 88610

I have attached a partial sample of the data, hopefully that will help.

echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I believe this is what you're looking for! Essentially, I trimmed off any leading and ending 0's in each string, then took the left 5 characters. If the character length was less than 5, I added leading 0's. Let me know if this works for your purpose.

Nova700
6 - Meteoroid

.@echung1

That is really close to what I am looking for, the only modifications would be:

-If a number ends in 0 and has 5 character length then do nothing

-If a number ends in 0 and has 4 character length then only add 0 to the front

Nova700
6 - Meteoroid

IF Length([Service Zip Code]) > 5
THEN Left([Service Zip Code],length([Service Zip Code])-4)

Could you do something like this?  Of course, that code isn't working for me malformed If (never done if/then in alteryx)

After that then then PadLeft(tostring([Service Zip Code]),5,"0")

Would that work?

echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Try this! 

Nova700
6 - Meteoroid

That seems to have done it, thank you so much!

Labels