Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Joining two files where the columns are out of order

dngnc7
7 - Meteor

Please Help!

I have two files that I need to load into one SQL table, my issue is the columns are not in the same order on the files causing an error message. I can't upload the files due to HIPAA but an example would be patient name in one file is in column A and in column G on file two.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions are greatly appreciated!

5 REPLIES 5
Prometheus
12 - Quasar

@dngnc7 You can union them. Configure the Union tool to Auto Config by Name and you should be set.

Input1.PNG

Input2.PNG

Auto Config by Name.PNG

dngnc7
7 - Meteor

thanks Promethus but the columns have different names and are being pulled using the directory tool. Would I still be able to use the union tool?

Prometheus
12 - Quasar

@dngnc7 You can rearrange your columns using the Select tool. Can you upload fake data just to show me what you're talking about?

caltang
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

If they have different names, you have to standardize the naming convention and use Union tool as per @Prometheus ' suggestion. 

Otherwise you'll run into an error. If you want to standardize the naming convention, may I suggest for you to either:

• Pivot your data with Transpose and Cross-Tab tools, then rename en masse with a Find Replace tool or a list of accurate names to match against.
  • Use Dyanmic Rename's formula to force rename if it contains a certain key word.
Calvin Tang
Alteryx ACE
https://www.linkedin.com/in/calvintangkw/
dngnc7
7 - Meteor

Thank you! Prometheus and caltang your solutions did the trick. 

Labels