Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Joining two excel workbooks and updating fields ONLY if data is in the second workbook

JoshuaElphee
8 - Asteroid

I have two workbooks, one which has been created through alteryx, and one that is a "last step" vlookup effort for manual filtering and updating.  As I am still new to Alteryx (first 8 days/13 hours), I am certain there is a way to automate this effort; but need assistance.

Workbook 1: Quite extensive input workbook, includes "Individual Name" and a column for each of 8 states that the individual may work within.  Each of these "States Columns" state either "YES" or "NO"

Workbook 2: Manual update per an issue with input data.  States "Individual Name" and a correction for each of the 8 states

*Issue*:  I need to perform a vlookup on Workbook 1, with workbook two replacing data *ONLY* when new data is provided.  IE. Workbook one may state "YES" in a column "Virginia", however if Workbook 2 is blank for column "Virginia", I do not wish to replace the "YES" already in place.  However the same cell may show "NO" for column "North Carolina", and "YES" in Workbook 2 for that column.  In this case, within workbook 1 I need to replace "No" with "YES" in the column "North Carolina"

If there are no updates - the row must remain.  No rows should be deleted in this effort.

I expect this a "Join" function, followed by formula and filter functions; but am not sure where to start, or which formulas to utilize.  I further expect I will need to perform the same step (given the input layouts) multiple times, once for each of the 8 states?

Workbook 1 shows:  Column C= Individual Name; Columns H-O - states marked Yes or No

Workbook 2 shows: Column A= Individual Name; Columns C-J - states UPDATES to originally reported data (ONLY; if a field was marked yes prior, and is yes now, the field shows as a blank).

1 REPLY 1
binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@JoshuaElphee your approach was correct but before applying the join tool you need to transpose the data so that you can join based on individual name as well as state name

binuacs_0-1682894308131.png

Labels