Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Joining/adding column from a data source to another

dottman
7 - Meteor

Hello - I've got a pretty simple question I believe, for some reason I can not figure it out.

I have two lists from two individual data sources I'd like to join, the first list has 72 rows and I need to keep all columns and the final joined list needs to stay at 72 rows. All I'm trying to do is join/add this "Business License Requirement" column from list 2 to list 1, joined by the City name.

Alameda in list 1 for example, I'd like to just add the "Business License Requirement" column and it say "Yes". Anaheim, Burbank, City of LA would then just be "null" in this new column because they're not on list 2. Then Cupertino would be "Yes" in this new column because it is on list 2, etc.

Hope this makes sense, would appreciate any help!

4 REPLIES 4
JBLove
10 - Fireball

@dottman  -

Have you tried the Find Replace Tool?  The F input anchor will be your list 1, and the R Input anchor will be your list 2.  You can use the Append Field(s) to record option to bring in the column form list 2.

aatalai
14 - Magnetar

Similar to @JBLove you could use the join tool

AGilbert
11 - Bolide

Fittingly named, the join tool will accomplish this. You find a common field to join on and deselect the unwanted fields in the join tool configuration. 

To get the null values for non-existent values you can follow up with a union tool to combine the data from two output anchors from the join tool. Example attached. 

Screenshot 2024-05-22 085539.png

dottman
7 - Meteor

This worked, thanks!

Labels