Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Joining/Merging Columns with the Same Name

tsbryan
6 - Meteoroid

Hello all. I am struggling with an awkward data set and need help merging responses into a single set. The data is for responses on a quiz, where "Y", "N", or [null] are possible responses. The issue is, that the "Y" responses and "N" responses are separated into two data sets and I need them to be merged into a single set... not as a Left Join/Right Join, if that makes sense.

Example:

Data Set 1:

Q1Q2Q3
BillYesYes[null]
Charlie[null]Yes[null]
Jane[null][null]Yes

Data Set 2:

Q1Q2Q3
Bill[null][null][null]
CharlieNo[null]No
JaneNo[null][null]

Desired Output:

Q1Q2Q3
BillYesYes[null]
CharlieNoYesNo
JaneNo[null]Yes

The question becomes... is there a way to join the data without creating Q1 and Right_Q1, Q2 and Right_Q2, that combines the data in the desired way? There are no instances of Yes/No overlapping for an individual/question.

I've attached a spreadsheet with two tabs (Yes/No) as very small example.

Many thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @tsbryan 

If there are truly no overlaps, just union the data and then take the max value (non null) for each name:

Luke_C_0-1648817390795.png

tsbryan
6 - Meteoroid

Luke,

Many thanks, worked perfectly.

Labels