Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Joining Data on the Max Value Less Than My Value

dmccarville
7 - Meteor

I have two data streams, Table1 and Table 2. Each table has a single column, ID. I'd like to join them, but the join condition is unusual. I'd like to join an item from Table1 to Table2 where the Table1.ID is the maximum value less than Table2.ID. Example below.

Table 1:

Table 2:

Desired output:

Table1.IDTable2.ID

Conceptually this is just a join with a subquery, but I haven't figured out how to approach this in Alteryx. Has anyone worked with this kind of challenge?

4 REPLIES 4
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

How many rows are we talking about? thousands/hundreds of thousands or more? What would happen if an item in table1 and table 2 matched? would it match go with the prior entry in table 1 or the current entry?

I'd probably use multi-row formula to get the next value in table1.ID into a column - use generate rows with table 1 to create a matrix of possible values up to that new column. I'd join the [RowCount] from the generate rows to Table2.ID. I then drop [RowCount] and have your output. 

SPetrie
12 - Quasar

One way would be to just append them to each other, sort and then grab the ones that meet the criteria.

SPetrie_0-1685567940141.png

You can also get more involved with an iterative macro to take the values one at a time and check if they meet the criteria.

SPetrie_1-1685568045852.png

SPetrie_2-1685568078797.png

I probably overengineered my macro, but it was a fun exercise :)

geraldo
13 - Pulsar

@dmccarville 

An example

dmccarville
7 - Meteor

@SPetrie  I learned about 10 different things from your post. Thank you!

Labels