Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Join 2 columns based on dynamic keywords

rajdaiya
6 - Meteoroid

Hi community,

I am fairly new to Alteryx and am struggling with a problem statement. I want to join columns based on the specific keyword ( generated dynamically by a series of filters).

For example:

Lets say my Table A has static column names (these column names dont change and are pre-written) : Date | US Skin Dependant | US Face Dependant | US Hair Dependant | US Body Dependant

and my Table B dynamically generated the column names:  Date | Skin A | Face A | Hair B

I want to join these 2 tables using the Date field (which is common) and ensure row values from Skin A get written into US Skin dependant, Similarly row values from Face A get populated within US Face Dependant and Hair B within US Hair Dependant. How should I proceed? Please help me out

5 REPLIES 5
Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

@rajdaiya 
How daynamic is your Table B column names?

like it alwasys contains some key words, such as "Skin", "Face"?

rajdaiya
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @Qiu 

Yes it will always contain one keyword like "hair" "skin" "body", etc which is present in Table A

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@rajdaiya ,

will it always be in the same order?

As in, will the second column in table B be the same the second column in Table A?

M.

Bulien

rajdaiya
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @mceleavey 

No. So the 4th column in Table A could be skin whereas 3rd column in Table A will be Skin. However, the position of the KW in the column anme will always be same. So 3rd keyword in columns from Table A will be Skin, Body, Hair whereas 2nc keyword in columns from Table B will be Ski, Body, or Hair

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @rajdaiya ,

ok, I've attached the workflow.

Basically, I used a mapping table of keywords with the Find and Replace tool with an append function.

mceleavey_0-1637333429787.png

This allows Table B to be mapped to table A using the key words once the columns have been transposed.

Then it's just a case of replacing the value in A with the values in B and cross-tabbing back.

Hope this helps,

M.

Bulien

Labels