Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Jira Iterative Macro Parameters

RonGatmaitan
8 - Asteroid

Hi all,

So I've been playing around with the macro. One thing I noticed is that, every time the project has more than what I set in the maxResults/max, I get an "Iteration limit of 10 was reached" warning, but the macro still only returns the maxResults/max records set. How do I access the other iterations? What is the actual maximum value. The projects have so many records between them?

1. Is the parameter supposed to be one line only? What if I want to access two projects? Do I need to add 2 macros?

2. What is the difference between the maxResults in the Query column and the value in the max column?

Help, please.

Thank you.

Ron

10 REPLIES 10
JarekSkudrzyk
11 - Bolide

@RonGatmaitan 

hi,

the limit of 10 may refer to max number of iterations set in designer view:

JarekSkudrzyk_0-1647989143494.png

could you please share the macro with some dummy data? It would help a lot in finding a solution

RonGatmaitan
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for replying, @JarekSkudrzyk.

Here are the parameters I use.

RonGatmaitan_0-1647992831378.png

Here's how I'm testing it.

RonGatmaitan_1-1647996261365.png

I'm just following the instructions for now. Been quite successful, so far, except that I'm unable to configure properly.

What I noticed is, for projects having fewer records than the max value set, they're okay. But for those that have more, the macro iterates 10 times, but only gives the records set on the max value in the parameter.

JarekSkudrzyk
11 - Bolide

@RonGatmaitan 

hi,

can you upload the packaged workflow file?

RonGatmaitan
8 - Asteroid

Here, Sir. @JarekSkudrzyk 

JarekSkudrzyk
11 - Bolide

hi, sorry for late reply.
Could you also attached sample input files?
Or provide a .yxzp package (Options -> Export Workflow)?

thanks

RonGatmaitan
8 - Asteroid

Hi @JarekSkudrzyk,

Here's the Excel file that I use. I just had to replace some data as I could get in trouble for sharing company information. :)

JarekSkudrzyk
11 - Bolide

@RonGatmaitan 

coul you please send a sample data downloaded from API (of course dummy data) - just after the download tool?

JarekSkudrzyk_0-1648530294995.png

RonGatmaitan
8 - Asteroid

Here, Sir. @JarekSkudrzyk 

RonGatmaitan_0-1648542796926.png

JarekSkudrzyk
11 - Bolide

@RonGatmaitan 

answering your questions - please see in blue below:

One thing I noticed is that, every time the project has more than what I set in the maxResults/max, I get an "Iteration limit of 10 was reached" warning

This might be due to iteration limit in designer view (please see my first post in this thread. 

, but the macro still only returns the maxResults/max records set.

MaxResults is a parameter from API - according to the documentation it can be modified (I could not find the maximum amount you can enter in this parameter). To modify it you need to amend the query before the download tool.

How do I access the other iterations?

You mean the records outside of the maxResults limit? E.g. if maxResults = 100 and you have 110 records? According to the documentation you can ask to download records starting at certain point - e.g. you can ask twice - 1st ask for records 1-100, 2nd for records 101-110 (you would need 2 rows of data input to the download tool).

What is the actual maximum value. The projects have so many records between them?

Unfortunately I could not find the maximum value - you can try to browse through the API documentation, maybe there is a way to ask API for this info.

1. Is the parameter supposed to be one line only? What if I want to access two projects? Do I need to add 2 macros?

No, you can ask more than 1 query, simply make more lines and they should be executed one by one (I have tried this with different API and it worked).

2. What is the difference between the maxResults in the Query column and the value in the max column?
I suppose the max column has been created by parsing the API's response - its value may be the same as maxResults parameter but it is an API output rather than input - you would have to test if that is true - I do not have credentials to log in into jira API.

Hope this answers your questions. If not - please let me know.

regards

Labels