Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Interface Tool to allow user to select folder paths

NeilFisk
9 - Comet

I would like to convert a workflow to a macro that allows a user to select folder paths for where data is stored.  One input requires the user to select not only the path but the filename, and that is easy with a File Browse tool.  However, I have five other inputs that I don't want the user to change the filename for, but they may have them placed in a different location and thus I want them to be able to identify the folder.  I don't want them having to type in the path but select it from a folder on their drive.  Is there a way to do this with an interface tool?

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
NeilFisk
9 - Comet

As additional information, I know that I could use a Folder Browse, but I want to be able to use this app in the Gallery. I suspect this means I need to do some sort of chained app to first select a directory, just not sure how to select just a directory.

Pang_Hee_Choy
12 - Quasar

you can use text input tool. user can direct paste the link.

however, you need to care about UNC path, which the folder may not access by the gallery. 

NeilFisk
9 - Comet

A text input tool is not ideal. I would prefer the user to select a folder from a dropdown that they are able to select from.  I am using an alternate, although less desirable approach, by having the user select each required file from a File Browse tool.  It just means they have to manually select each one and then submit.

rzdodson
12 - Quasar

@NeilFisk  take a look in to the Tree tool in the Interface pallet. Depending on how the directory is established, the user has the ability to select in to a specific file, or click on the parent folder and select every file within that directory folder. I have attached a couple of pictures of how I set up a tree tool for a generic use case.

What you'll need is a database file that has the structure of your directory, which will be used in the "File/Database Path/Connection" portion. Then, you'll need to tell Alteryx what the Key and Description fields are. The second picture attached shows the results of that configuration. Depending on the use case, you can bring in all of these file paths along with their associated data simultaneously.

Hope that helps, sir!

Pang_Hee_Choy
12 - Quasar

@NeilFisk you can mention what to keep in the action tool. 

1. in the input tool - keep filename only

2. create a dropdown for selected folders (acting same to text box input)

3. merge both data with "\" in action tool

Screenshot 2023-08-15 141628.png

Dhilip_Kumar
8 - Asteroid

Hi Pang_Hee_Choy,

I used this above workflow however i got error while using txt format. Please see attached error image and do the needful.

Labels