Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Interactive Chart tool: Y axis not spacing incrementally

Dan5
8 - Asteroid

I have a script that pulls in Covid death toll (dark, i know..). The problem is my chart just looks like a straight 45 degree line. It seems my y-axis spacing is not uniformly spaced. Instead of say an increment of 10 every notch. It will be 10, then 14, then 12, then 20. I cant seem to find a setting for it. 

Attached is my file; it hits a database and writes a new row to my file every time i run it (feedback for improvement welcome). 

Thanks, 

by the way: The community labels that are required to post here, and not that great; and i am always forced to pick something that doesnt quite match in my mind. Probably better to just get rid of them, and use a different approach. 

1 REPLY 1
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @Dan5 

danilang_0-1589897819968.png

The problem with the graph is caused by the data type in your table.  Data from a CSV is always returned as strings, so the chart can't interpolate between the Y values.  In the attached, I changed the data types to numeric types, giving 

danilang_1-1589897989483.png

I also had to add another Interactive Graph tool since I couldn't get your original one to display the data with the changed field types.  

Overall...a clever workflow.  Good use of using a local cache to track history.  If you don't need to access the data from outside of Alteryx, consider using an Alteryx db as the cache.  The field types will get stored along with the data so you won't need to convert 

Dan

Labels