Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Input Data - with Current vs Previous month

suby
11 - Bolide

All,

I have a shared directory where I have all daily files are stored , 

For the Dynamic read.

1) Firstly I need to pick two files ( say 1st of March and 1st of April File) and do a comparison.

2) Secondly i want the flow to be dynamic say when i am in May i want to pick  (1st of April File and 1st of May file) and do a comparison.

the first thing I'm trying to attempt is making the read to automatically to pick the files.

Also i  need to compare two data sets and make this dynamic so I need  the dates like current vs previous to build logic in my flow.

Sample Dir/Files

xxxx_xxx_xx-xx2021-02-28xxxxxx.xlsx
xxxx_xxx_xx-xx2021-03-01xxxxxx.xlsx
xxxx_xxx_xx-xx2021-03-02xxxxxx.xlsx
xxxx_xxx_xx-xx2021-04-01xxxxxx.xlsx
xxxx_xxx_xx-xx2021-04-02xxxxxx.xlsx

Many thanks

11 REPLIES 11
apathetichell
19 - Altair

Here's the datetime code to take today's date and get the first of last month, and the first of the previous month:

datetimeadd(datetimetoday(),-tonumber(datetimeformat(datetimetoday(),"%e"))+1,"days")

and:

datetimeadd(datetimeadd(datetimetoday(),-tonumber(datetimeformat(datetimetoday(),"%e"))+1,"days"),-1,"months")

You add these fields in a formula tool (with tostring() to convert them into strings) into placeholders on your filenames in a formula tools to dynamically generate the file names.

shreyanshrathod
11 - Bolide

Hi @suby ,

Hope this helps.

Note that the Regex pattern for extracting the file name from the path will depend on your directory path.

Regards,

Shreyansh Rathod

suby
11 - Bolide

Hi 

Thanks but unable to open the zip file and it says the below message and even when i click ok any thoughts?

This workflow was created by a more recent version of Alteryx, and may contain tools or functionality not present in this version. Alteryx does not support using an earlier version of Alteryx to open a workflow created with a newer version. For best results, download the latest version of Alteryx.

Do you still want to attempt to open the workflow?

shreyanshrathod
11 - Bolide

Hi @suby ,

It's the version error. My alteryx version is higher than yours.

Although, I feel you shoulod be able to load the '.yxmd' that I am attaching with this comment.

Cheers

apathetichell
19 - Altair

you can open the workflow in notepad and manually edit the version - then save. note much of notepad will be junk but the version is editable text.

suby
11 - Bolide

Hello,

Thanks for your reply and could you please what this Regex function will do.

.*_(\d{4}_\d{2}_\d{2}).*

In my files I have multiple tabs and i 'm interested on couple of tabs for my analysis so just to clarify on the Dynamic Input tool should i need to choose a one tab as template. 

What happens if my tabs have different column structure for different months.

Many thanks

apathetichell
19 - Altair

That regex function matches a date in the yyyy_mm_dd format.

shreyanshrathod
11 - Bolide

If your tabs have different column structures, then you might need to build a batch macro for the same.

Dynamic input tool will throw an error in case of structure mismatch.

suby
11 - Bolide

Thanks

Any thoughts or pointers for batch macro.

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels