Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Input Data tool converting strings to numbers when importing from .xlsm file

kdunne96
5 - Atom

I am trying to import named ranges from a macro enabled file. The need to be dynamic means I have defined this range as an entire set of columns. For some of these ranges the input data tool has converted text into numbers.

I have recreated this in a dummy workflow with the first screenshot below showing the named range up to the last data point, while the second shows how Alteryx reads it:

kdunne96_0-1671019308009.png

kdunne96_1-1671019324185.png

Why is this happening and is there a solution?

8 REPLIES 8
DavidSkaife
13 - Pulsar

Hi @kdunne96 

Can you share your dummy workflow, as i cannot recreate the issue?

kdunne96
5 - Atom

Hi, thanks for your reply. Please see attached - I've uploaded a .xlsx equivalent of the file as .xlsm files are not supported here.

DavidSkaife
13 - Pulsar

Hi @kdunne96 

I've used your examples (re-saved as .XLSM) and its working fine for me. What version of Alteryx are you on?

PanPP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @kdunne96 

Your input is being brought in properly I believe.

Can you attempt to use the legacy option under File Format to see if this helps?

legacy.png

If you check option number 6, sometimes the first row contains data so you may want to enable/disable this depending on how your files are formatted.

Hope this helps. If it does, please like the post and mark it as a solution.

kdunne96
5 - Atom

Hi @davidskaife

I'm on version 2020.3. That's strange because when I re-save the file as a new .xlsm I still get the same issue.

DavidSkaife
13 - Pulsar

Hi @kdunne96 

I've now tested it on a lower version and i'm getting the same issue...ok, so a few potential solutions:

• Can you upgrade your version of alteryx? I'm on 2022.1 and didn't have any issues so at some point whatever is causing the issue is fixed
  • Do you have to bring it in as a named range? i changed it to just importing the sheet and it works as expected

I've had a quick look around and cannot find anything on how to fix this, saying that you are on a very old version of Alteryx, which went out of support earlier this year so upgrading is a good idea anyway - but understand that not all organisations can do this quickly!

kdunne96
5 - Atom

Thanks David and yes upgrading to a newer version may take significantly longer than implementing potential workarounds! I think fixing the named ranges and cleaning up in Alteryx will work as a temporary solution while I try get my upgrade installed. 

DavidSkaife
13 - Pulsar

Hi @kdunne96 

You're welcome, sorry i couldn't be more help but at least there is a temporary workaround for now!

Labels