Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to use IF Function in Alteryx

RaviTeja_1001
7 - Meteor

Hi.

I'm new to alteryx and exploring the functions in my day to day work.

While i tried putting a If condition as below, there is an error which says " Error: Formula (10): Parse Error at char(93): Malformed If Statement (Expression #1)". Can any one please correct me in the code below?

IF SubString([F8],11,1)="I"
THEN [F32]
ELSE IF [F45]=0
THEN [F32]
ELSE (-[F32]-[F45])
ENDIF

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @RaviTeja_1001 

The "ELSE IF" should not have a space in Alteryx expressions. Try this:

IF SubString([F8],11,1)="I"
THEN [F32]
ELSEIF [F45]=0
THEN [F32]
ELSE (-[F32]-[F45])
ENDIF

GloriousWater
8 - Asteroid

Edit: Solution was already posted.

RaviTeja_1001
7 - Meteor

HI @Charlie S

Thanks for your swift response. 

When i use the below code, there is an error highlighted as:

"Error: Formula (10): Parse Error at char(0): Type mismatch. String provided where a number is required. (Expression #1)"

Can you please help on this?

RaviTeja_1001_0-1589400638687.png

Thanks

Ravi

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Sure thing.

It looks like your ELSE result performs an arithmetic operation on two fields: "(-[F32]-[F45])". Since numeric values are needed, you could add this conversion into the formula so you don't have the change the field types of [F32] and [F45] ahead of this:

(-ToNumber([F32])-ToNumber([F45]))

Now that this operation is valid, a numeric value will be produced. The field is a string, so we need to make sure this part of the expression outputs a string value. We can wrap this with "ToString(" to make sure a string value is output in this string field. 

ToString((-ToNumber([F32])-ToNumber([F45])))

RaviTeja_1001
7 - Meteor

Thank you very much. Now this is working fine. 

Labels