Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How to move files from multiple folders to another

Aggsneh
7 - Meteor

I have multiple files (excel or pdf) into 10 different folders and I need to move/copy all of them to one new folder (only the files).

Once all files are move to the one new folder,  I want to re-save them with their names into their respective folders.

Can anyone help how can I do that? 

3 REPLIES 3
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

hi @Aggsneh  

While it's certainly possible to move the files using Alteryx (just google "alteryx moving files"), it's not the best tool for the process.  I would suggest PowerShell which is installed on all Windows machines.

Dan 

Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

@Aggsneh 
As @danilang suggested, Alteryx may not be the best fit for file operations, though doable with Run Command Tool.

So still the work is actually done by the OS, not really Alteryx itself.

When you say you want to move them to one folder, then copy back to their respective folder, would be it the same to just copy them to the same folder?

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @Aggsneh 

If you decide to use Alteryx for this, an alternative to the run command is to use the Blob Input and Output Tools.    The Run Command can be tricky to properly configure and requires knowledge of the DOS bat language.  On the other hand, the Blob tools are as easy to use as the File I/O tools and can be configured to use fields for both source and destination.   

Dan

Labels