Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How to load data from Text File using Alteryx Desktop

amsrivastav
8 - Asteroid

Hi Folks!!

I have to create Alteryx which can read data from the Text file.

1. Source of the file is Text File.

2. It holds five columns (Col_A,Col_B,Col_C,Col_D and Col_E) and are TAB seperated.

3. Col_C having a value which is TAB separated as well

3.1. Delimiter is not fixed, it can be any delimiter but same within a file, i.e. for 02 Jan, it may have TAB delimiter however on 3 Jan, it can be COMMA or SEMICOLON or anything else, this hold true only for Col_C

Please suggest how to create Alteryx flow for it

Thanks

Amit

7 REPLIES 7
alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

You'll likely have to read it in with no delimiter, and then use Alteryx from there to parse through, using some sort of RegEx logic to determine where Column C starts and ends. 

Can you share sample data with us?

amsrivastav
8 - Asteroid

Hi Alexnajm,

Please find sample data as attached and please provide me sample Alteryx flow, that would be very helpful.

Thanks

Amit 

birlatrimayapr
5 - Atom
flying008
14 - Magnetar

Hi, @amsrivastav 

Could you please upload the data table as your want  result?

录制_2024_01_03_14_15_53_930.gif

录制_2024_01_03_14_23_53_425.gif

Output    
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXY
123-1112-AAA9/11/202212A12 AB12AABCDABCDEFGHI, ABC13-ABC|"234, 12ABCDE-AD-123"
143-2222-BBB9/11/2022321 DA-ABCDE 43ABC ABC13-ABCABCDEFGFFD000000ABCDEFGHI, ABC137-ABC, 12345AB-AB-123ABC,

amsrivastav
8 - Asteroid

Hi Flying008

Can you please upload your Alteryx flow which you have made, that would be helpful.

Thanks

Amit 

flying008
14 - Magnetar

Hi, @amsrivastav 

I can't upload any flow files because our security policy, but if you show your want output results, maybe can check it.

arjundelara
8 - Asteroid

Hi @amsrivastav ,

Here's a sample workflow created above. I tried to develop it on my end.

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels