Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to import a variable column width, stacked csv file into Alteryx.

mutuelinvestor
8 - Asteroid

I have a variable column-width stacked csv file that I'm trying import into Alteryx.  A brief file description follows:

The file is a csv file that includes several different tables.  Tables are differentiated by the first column of every row:

• H - Header row - only one row and seven columns.   ** Note - this is label a header row, but is really a data row **
  • R - Race rows - typically 8 to 10 rows and approxiimately 69 columns
  • S - Starters rows - typically 80 to 90 rows and approximatey 90 columns 
  • E - Exotic Wager rows - typically 25 to 35 rows and approximately 9 columns
  • F - Footnotes - typically 100 to 130 rows and 4 columns

The file also do not include a traditional title/header row (data in first row). The file is a standard txt file but comes with a .chart file extension.  I'm hoping that I won't have to edit the extension.  Note: To upload my sample file I had to change the extension from .chart to .txt. 

I have attached a sample file for your information. 

My objective is to import the file and then create a table in my SQl server database from the imported data without converting to an Excel file format.(xlsx).   I want to avoid the conversion to excel to maintain a fully automated work flow.  I will be processing files in rather large batches and converting each file to excel is not feasable.

I've tried importing using the text import tool and a couple of others, however I have not been able to import the entire file claenly.  Problems I have encountered include just importing the H header row (first row of the file).  

Has anyone come across a similar file structure and been able to import to Alteryx sucessfully.   I'd appreciate any suggestions or ideas you have. 

4 REPLIES 4
chris_love
12 - Quasar

Hey

So some tips:

- you shouldn't need to change the extension, import it as a txt file type
(show All Files at bottom) and choose no delimiter, this will bring
everything as one column of text. Untick the "First Row Contains Field
Names"

- create a new formula LEFT(Field1,1) to parse off the first character

- split off (using a series of filters) each type of table so you can parse
them separately e.g. using an expression [RowType]='E'.

- use Text to columns to split each type into the desired number of columns
by splitting on comma

- use Select or Dynamic Rename to rename the headers in each case.

I haven't done this for you, I imagine you want to learn yourself, but yell
if you want some more specific advice of just a final module and I'm sure
someone will help.

Chris

s_pichaipillai
12 - Quasar

To add to chris for Text to cloumns

you can try the one here to split the number of columns 

http://artisantechno.com/index.php/2015/10/06/alteryx-part-2-parsing-semi-structured-data/ 

does same but you need to add /modify little to your requirement (Learn yourself by modifying it)

mutuelinvestor
8 - Asteroid

Chris,

Thanks so much for the tips. I plan to put them to good use this evening.  

Jim

mutuelinvestor
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for bring this to my attention. This is great. 

Labels