Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to get API to get information from the server

JohnLight
8 - Asteroid

I'm trying to get data from the server using the server api tool, and I'm getting this error (see attachment). The URL I'm using the just the gallery url, and I got the key and secret key from the gallery profile as well, so I don't believe those are the issues. I have the API access permission checked under the gallery profile as well. Any help would be appreciated.

I posted this in the server discussions as well, but there hasn't been a response yet, so I thought I'd try here.

44 REPLIES 44
JohnLight
8 - Asteroid

I have the server API tool, and it is working using that. However, I tried following this tutorial (Alteryx Server Series 2022: How to Build Gallery API (youtube.com)) and it's not working. 

When I access the Gallery, it is the same name + gallery. 

My designer version is 2023.2.1.226 Patch: 6, the server is the same version.

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @JohnLight ,

I believe I misunderstood your issue then. I thought your server API tool wasn`t working at all.

This tutorial, fun fact, is from the company I used to work for and the presenter is a good friend of mine 😁

The tutorial uses a different set of APIs (old ones) and the entire workflow can be replaced by the Server API tool.

Please share the latest error you are getting and also what you are trying to accomplish now. (download workflows, view schedules, etc..)

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

JohnLight
8 - Asteroid

Oh understood, I will disregard those tools from that tutorial then. I just want to make sure I understand how this works because even though those tools are outdated, should they still work if I give them the correct information? I get this error from the download tool at the end of those tools: HTTP/1.1 404 Not FoundContent-Length: 0Server: Microsoft-HTTPAPI/2.0

I also want to be able to use Postman, if you think that's relevant. If it's unnecessary once I have the server API tool working, then I can let it go, but it isn't accepting the API URL to import, and I can't figure out why. 

The main thing I'm trying to accomplish right now is to get information on what workflows and schedules are on the server, though I may want more information in the future. I don't know how the server tool started working, I kept putting in the same information it felt like (url, key, secret key), but somehow it just completed once, so I saved that workflow to make sure I didn't lose whatever confirmguration had worked.

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

The good thing about the server api tool is that all the steps on that tutorial are not required anymore. The entire workflow is inside this connector.

I believe Postman was suggested to you because your server API tool wasn`t working and that would help understand if the issue is in the tool itself or related to access/network issues.

My guess is that the URL, key or secret had a hidden character or whitespace somewhere. Other than access and network issues, which you don`t have, I don`t see anything else that might throw those errors.

To get a list of workflows, you can use the GET /v3/workflows and the GET /v3/schedules for the list of schedules. The output can be found on the S output anchor as image below.

Screenshot 2024-10-01 141554.png

JohnLight
8 - Asteroid

Okay great, thank you and everyone else for your help and patience. I see those commands, and they are working for me. :)

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels