Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to create dynamic regex function

AbdulBalogun
7 - Meteor

I have a column called filename and the field is formatted as

name1_name2_name3_name4_name5_YYYYMMDDHHMMSS.txt.pgp

name1_name2_name3_name4_YYYYMMDDHHMMSS.txt.pgp

name1_name2_name3_name4_name5_name6_YYYYMMDDHHMMSS.txt.pgp

up until now, the number of names can differ, but the filename always ends with YYYYMMDDHHMMSS.txt.pgp 

I've been using the regex function (.+)_ to extract everything before the last _YYYYMMDDHHMMSS.txt.pgp resulting in the names only

but now I have a new field in the column formatted as 

name1_name2_name3_name4_ddmmyyyy_HHMMSS.txt.pgp

Using my old regex this results in name1_name2_name3_name4_ddmmyyyy, is there a different regex function I can use that's more dynamic that will work for either of those naming conventions?

in my real data the dates are listed as numbers within the filenames, but for my configuration file its just letters.

Example of the data in my configuration file 

name1_name2_name3_name4_name5_YYYYMMDDHHMMSS.txt.pgp

name1_name2_name3_name4_YYYYMMDDHHMMSS.txt.pgp

name1_name2_name3_name4_ddmmyyyy_HHMMSS.txt.pgp

Example of the data in my real data 

name1_name2_name3_name4_name5_20240401120000.txt.pgp

name1_name2_name3_name4_20240401120000.txt.pgp

name1_name2_name3_name4_20240401_120000.txt.pgp

I'm trying to create 2 separate regex functions, one for my real data and one for my configuration data that only extracts the filename without the date, if there's one regex function that will work for both, that's fine too, I just don't know if that's possible. Does anyone know how I can accomplish this?

3 REPLIES 3
PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @AbdulBalogun 

You could try,

(.+?)_\d{6}

...for the real data.

And,

(.+?)_[dmy]{6}

... for the configuration file data

And,

(.+?)_(?:\d{6}|[dmy]{6})

...or (with a regex replace with replace field blank),

_(\d|[ymd]){6}.*

... for both.

Solution attached.

AbdulBalogun
7 - Meteor

Thank you, that worked! just to make sure I'm understanding behind the scenes, what is that code regex - replace code referencing? as in, how does it know what to replace with blank? I'm trying to understand the logic / process of it all but I'm not that familiar with the syntax.

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

The `_(\d){6}.*` matches an underscore followed by six digits, and the .* just matches the rest. So it will only replace the _dddddd...and so on stuff. I don't think I'm being very clear. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Labels