Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to Output an entire Excel file but calculate only from a particular row onwards

Astro55
8 - Asteroid

Hello everyone,

I have a system-generated file that shows the report parameters on top and then has several thousand lines of data after a particular row number. I normally just use the "Start Data Import on Line" option in the input tool. However, for audit purposes, I need to show the report parameters as well as the calculated fields in the same report. 

One way I could think of is having one input tool that just outputs the report, unedited, into one tab,and then have another tab where I import from a particular line number and perform my calculations. 

However, given that the file size is generally large, I want to avoid this.

Is there another way that I can get Alteryx to provide an output like the screenshot below (I've given sample data - the columns in green are the calculated fields I want to insert).

Screenshot - Alteryx Query.jpg

8 REPLIES 8
Astro55
8 - Asteroid

Attaching the file as well (for some reason, it didn't attach when I posted my original query)

acarter881
12 - Quasar

Hello, @Astro55.

Would something like the attached work?

image.png

Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

@Astro55 
So you want the Calculation part in Green to be performed in Alteryx or Excel, I am sorry but I am a bit confused.
Either way, this article should help.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Engine-Works/The-Blob-Reporting-That-Isn-t-From-a-Horror-Film/ba-p/...

Astro55
8 - Asteroid

@Qiu - Apologies, I wasn't clear. I have updated the file to show the input and the desired outputs. I wanted the calculation part in Green to be performed by Alteryx. (attaching the updated file below)

Regardless - thank you for introducing me to Blobs! I need to do a bit more reading, but this can help several of my use cases, especially when it comes to formatting! Thank you so much!!!!

Astro55
8 - Asteroid

Hi @acarter881 - This is ALMOST there! Thank you so much!

My only question is - how can I export this table to Excel instead of a PDF? I tried using the "Output Tool" in Excel, and it didn't work. 

I did something similar to yours (though I learned some additional nuances through your solution). The main difference is that I excluded creating the tables and using the Output Tool to export to separate rows of the same file/ tab. (And used a Block Until Done to ensure the workflows didn't cause an output error). Your solution seems more elegant if I can figure out how to export to Excel.

acarter881
12 - Quasar

@Astro55 you're welcome.

You can change the Output Mode to a temporary Excel file or choose a specific output file.

image.png

Astro55
8 - Asteroid

@acarter881 - I didn't know that! Thank you so much!!!

acarter881
12 - Quasar

@Astro55 you're welcome. Glad I could help.

Labels