Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How do I remove rows after merging cell contents, or merge cells then remove row?

grinner
5 - Atom

The source file is a spreadsheet that has thousands of rows, but quite often an item is on two rows, but only the Item Description. The column cells to the left and right are merged.

grinner_5-1657045627319.png

The input tool cleanly un-merges them, however, I am left with the original problem of Item Description for that item number on two rows.
How do I merge the two-row item description when I encounter them, and then delete the row full of nulls? Is there a better approach to this?

grinner_6-1657045689311.png

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
DataNath
17 - Castor

@grinner if you use a Multi-Row formula to take the ID (guessing that’s the column on the left) from the previous row of the current row is null, that will fill all of the IDs. Then you can use a Summarize tool to Group By ID and concatenate the description and 2 fields on the right. In the Summarize tool, set the concatenate separator to \n which is the notation for a new line.

MatthewO
Alteryx
Alteryx

@grinner attached is an example of how this could be accomplished. I hope this is helpful!

image.png

grinner
5 - Atom

Thank you both. I had to exclude some columns for privacy reasons, however, I was able to massage MatthewO's solution to get what I needed. DataNath's solution was an exercise I undertook after. Both were valid solutions and I thank you.
Tom

Labels