Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Help Outputting File Name using a Field Name

clone501
5 - Atom

Ultimately I am trying to Output 3 Sheets to a single Excel file each to be named a different thing. I've managed to successfully name 2 of the Sheets using a Field Name from the input data however, the 3rd Sheet will occasionally have no data and therefore I cannot get the Sheet to be named off a Field. The name of this 3rd Sheet needs to be the file name from the input file + "Sheet Name." Any workarounds for this?  

3 REPLIES 3
binuacs
21 - Polaris

@clone501 Have you tried the option output file name as field in the input tool? That option will output the input file name in a separate column

binuacs_0-1678232482804.png

clone501
5 - Atom

Yes, this is how I started it and then when I am setting up my output I try and reference this field but there are no values because the input was empty to begin with.

Yoshiro_Fujimori
15 - Aurora

@clone501 ,

I understand you want to have a sheet even when there is no data to output,

but the problem is that Output Data Tool only creates a sheet when there is data to write to it.

As a workaround, I added a row to the data with null data exept for the sheet name.

Dummy data

Yoshiro_Fujimori_1-1678252553987.png

Workflow

Yoshiro_Fujimori_0-1678252504414.png

Image of Sheet_c on Excel

Yoshiro_Fujimori_2-1678252661157.png

Downside is that it still have data in "SheetName" column.

Does it work for you?

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels