Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Get all but last two digits of a number

cowannbell
9 - Comet

This is what I currently have for text, how do I do this for a number field?  I want to extract all but the last 2 digits of the number.

Left([field1], Length([field1]) - 2)

5 REPLIES 5
alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

ToNumber(Left(ToString([field1]), Length(ToString([field1])) - 2))

Basically force a number to be a string, do the same function, and change it back!

phottovy
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @cowannbell, how are you hoping to handle numbers that either have decimals or have fewer than two digits? My first thought, which will give you similar results as the formula provided by @alexnajm, is to use a formula like this:

FLOOR([field1] / 100)

After plugging in some random numbers, both solutions start to act differently when smaller numbers or decimals are involved. Here are the results of both of our formulas with a variety of number types:

Drop Numbers.png

alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Good call @phottovy ! Always good to get more clarity 😊

cowannbell
9 - Comet

My numbers don't have decimals, so we are good.

I guess I should have included this.  I'm trying to inner join two tables in Visual Query builder via the SQL.

What I need to do is connect two tables on table 1 field 1 and table 2 field 1.  Table 1 field 1 matches table 2 field 1 but only by the numbers to the left.  It just means that table 1 field 1 has two extra numbers added to the right.

How would I do this in Visual Query Builder?  I tried adding this in the inner join but it didn't like it.

cowannbell
9 - Comet

Also, table 1 field 1 is a vstring and table 2 field 1 is a int64

Labels